Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Snack time routine

What does everybody do for snack time?
    Does everybody always feed 2 snacks per day, morning and afternoon?

And if so, is it always fed in a highchair/booster/at the table to avoid crumbs/spills?

What is your bib policy? avid users? or no shirt at all?

Euphoric !
    We treat snacks like meals. They get up to the table or highchairs, bibs go on and they are served. I like that the bibs catch the crumbs and less ends up in their laps which then ends up on the floor. We get enough without the extra. I don't always serve a morning snack because I have kids coming during a 2 hour window. I also serve lunch between 11-12 and I find if I don't serve snack that they eat a better lunch. Most days if I do serve snack it is a top me up kind of glass of milk and a cracker. I started changing the lunch time when I had infants napping 9-10:30 who then wake up thirsty and hungry and it just made sense to not spoil their lunch, spend the next 2 hours in the kitchen with everyone and instead to simply serve lunch to everyone. Contrary to what seems to be the norm I do not believe that a child needs to eat every two hours. Their stomachs may be small but they are in proportion to their bodies. Even a newborn baby is only fed every 4 hours. Children need to feel hungry before the next meal and to feel full when they are done instead of constantly grazing just because food is available. Is it any wonder they grow up unable to know when enough food is enough.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Pretty much the same routine as playfelt.

Morning snack: 9-9:30
    Lunch: 11:30
    Afternoon Snack: 3:30-4

The kids are either in their booster seats at the table or outside at the kids picnic table. I HATE when kids walk around with food. I use bibs on infants, and sometimes on the toddlers when I know it's going to be messy. On these hot summer days, I usually strip them down to their diapers.

Euphoric !
    Morning snack is at about 9:30, and it's a SMALL one. I have also found that if we eat too much, nobody eats enough lunch. Maybe some crackers and cheese, and a small cup of milk or juice. We occasionally just do a glass of milk, depending on who is here. I know the kids that need something to tide them over, and the ones who don't. Lunch is between 12 and 12:30. Then another snack at 3:30. Usually a little more hearty, because my boys come home from school starving, and as often as possible we go outside to play afterwards.
    We do eat at the table, and the little ones more often than not wear their bibs. Establishing this as routine just makes everything easier.

Euphoric !
    I serve two snacks and lunch and we are always at the table, strapped into booster seats with bibs on (unless we are at the park for snack in which case they sit on a towel to eat). I serve mainly fruit for morning snack and I find they are always still hungry at lunchtime. I do have one who hates bibs, but i have been able to get her to wear a tie on one because she can't pull it off (her parents had given up). I don't allow food in my playroom or anywhere but the kitchen...it is the same rule for my own kids.

Shy
    Morning snack 9:30ish
    Lunch 11:30 - 12:00 (depending on what time we had morning snack)
    After noon snack, fruit around 2:30 - 3
    treat, 3:30 - 4ish

At the table with clean hands, bibs for those that need one or no shirt if it`s hot. Sometimes we have snack on the front porch or back deck but they must be sitting, no walking around or running while eating. And once in a blue moon I will let them have a snack on the couch if we are having a special movie time but that`s only for older children and as a treat.