Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toddler foods

Shy

Toddler foods

Looking for new ideas for toddler (12months)

Mostly snacks and lunches.

I have one child 12month old will not eat fruits.

She only likes cracker for lunch and snacks.

I have another one that only likes blend foods.

Ideas please especially if they can feed themselves

Euphoric !
    First you will need to find out from the mom about what is being served at home. Is mom still feeding puree and letting child have a few snack type foods to fingerfeed? Does child not eat most foods at home either? By 12 months they should be eating pretty much what the others eat except for raw veggies and stuff that requires a lot of chewing such as some meats. For veggies I serve the frozen mixed veggies and then they can pick and choose what they want to eat. Boil some pasta such as basic elbows. Add a bit of margarine and mine like it with a sprinkle of celery salt but serve without the spices if they want bland. Grilled cheese cut into small pieces such as 16 pieces instead of 4 - the idea being they will stuff so make them smaller. For snack I use dry cereal a lot for toddlers figuring it has the same taste qualities as crackers but added nutrients and a whole box is cheaper. Mine like Quaker corn bran - don't let the size fool you they are hollow inside.

Shy
    The moms said the child eat everything at home. But they won't eat here. I had one mom bring the food from home to see and the child did not touch it.

But these kids do look health. The one that don't eat the fruits is very obesse for 13months and not walking as yet. But you can tell she like junk as mom always have fries, pizza, chicken nuggets for she and her brother at pick up. She also like the fruits in jar(peaches)

Outgoing
    For snacks i offer peanut butter on toast, cucumber cut into matchstick size, with a drizzle of salad dressing if they like that. Cheerios are a hit here, and so are cheese strings. The pasta and margerine idea is good, and I like the celery salt thing! Some of my kids like red pepper sut into sticks, with itialian dressing to dip.
    Sliced deli ham, dill pickles, crackers and marble cheese are another favourite for snack time.
    But then I have one girl who really likes butter on bread.

Euphoric !
    I agree that at 12 months plus,they should be eating pretty much what the other kids are having. With some exceptions for choking or allergy watch, of course. Sometimes it's not what to serve, but how to serve it. Just cut it up a little more or in a more "grab-able" way. If you worry about mess, leave the sauce off of things like pasta, meatballs, etc. You can add it on for older kids.
    Scrambled eggs go over really well here, you can cook them so it's a finger food. Pancakes are a great match with eggs. We make either mini sized ones, or I cut them into strips to hang onto. Bite size pasta as well. LOVE frozen mixed veg, just need to warm it up, and it's good to go. Nutritious, too! Pizza is a winner, cut into small squares. And of course, chicken strips and french fries.
    I freely admit that I don't "cater" to certain tastes, and parents are made aware. I make what I make, I serve what I serve. You can eat it or not, your choice. I do believe that if a child is hungry enough, they will eat. And it's not my job to cajole, beg or plead for them to eat either. I can't force a kid to try something. I will offer some encouragement. If they haven't even taken a bite, I will suggest they try "just one". If they had some, but I feel like they could do more, I will suggest "three more bites". But I won't make them.

Starting to feel at home...
    First, I would ask that the parents now bring food to the door when they come and get their kids. Unless they are willing to share, it's just not fair to the other kids. Ask them to leave it in the car or to wait until they get home. Second, if the child has developed a taste to high salt, sugar, and fat foods (which would also explain why she'll eat the peaches) then it's going to be tough as all other foods won't compare. My best advice is to not give in and give her something other than what they other kids are eating. If you give her something else when she freaks out and refuses to eat, she wins and will continue to behave this way. I have one who would only eat donuts and kraft dinner. It's an uphill battle but it's best for the child's health and development (and my own sanity by not having to make 6 different meals!). Good luck!

Euphoric !
    I learned many years ago to stop fretting about the food. Parents are responsible for two meals and I am responsible for one. Child won't die of starvation if they skip a few meals and in the case of not liking lunch they will make up for it at supper. Think of it as a burst to your income. Give the child just a couple bites worth of whatever everyone else is having and think of it as bonus income to you. Do not give a full meal and waste it - too hard on our psychic. Then if she eats offer more the next time. There are actually children that can not eat if the plate is too full or there are too many options so she might do better with one small plate of one food. If parents are going to twart our efforts at every turn to produce happy healthy kids then don't fight it. Just don't be a party to it as in offer the unhealthy foods child loves.

Euphoric !
    I have kids ranging from 11 months to 3 years and I give everything the same thing. I just make sure that whatever I make is suitable for the younger ones (things are cut small and I don't serve any nut products even if they have had it at home). A grater is a wonderful thing...you can grate all kinds of things (cucumbers, peppers, apples, cheese, etc.) if the little one isn't used to chewing or you are worried about choking. I always make sure I serve more than one item at lunchtime so that if someone doesn't like one thing, they at least eat the other and don't go for their naps with an empty tummy (ex. soup and cornbread). You can't please everyone all the time, but if I serve something and nobody likes it, I don't bother with it again. If the majority like it, the minority are out of luck and I will serve it again. I agree with those that said you cannot force a child to eat, so just offer it in small amounts and see and then you can give more. I have a 14 month old who is quite picky and that's what I do for her...if she eats the couple of bites, I give her more.