Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Paid vacations/personal/sick days ect..

Hi Everyone,

I've been redoing my contract and adding and changes some things. I was wondering if its fair to charge personal day to my contract and it been paid..I know some providers in my area do, just curious if any of yous do.
    Since I started my home daycare, I always had 2 weeks paid vacation per year, I ve had no complaints, but parents never paid for any days off I take off, appointment or been sick.

Any input for anyone would be great
    thanks!

I get 2 weeks paid vacation, 10 days paid sick days and 10 days paid personal days per calendar year. But I let clients know that just because I get them does not mean I will use them (personal /sick days), I just have two young children of my own and I am the one who has to take them to appointments and take care of them when they are sick. My husband can not take time off of work. I do my best to make sure my kids appointments are on the same days. I also let clients know that if I do not use them, I will not be transferring the to the next year.

Euphoric !
    I take 3 weeks off per year of vacation unpaid, so the parents pay full fees for the other 49 weeks of the year, no matter if they have vacation, if there are stats, sick days or missed days for any reason. I have 3 paid personal days listed now but according to the other thread where LittleFeet found something that said we shouldn't have paid sick days I'm going to have to rethink that.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Outgoing
    If I got 2 weeks paid vacation I wouldnt rock the boat.

Euphoric !
    I have three weeks paid holidays and 5 paid personal days .... My sick days are unpaid.

I have 2 weeks paid vacation, 5 paid sick days, and paid christmas closure between Dec 24 and Jan 1, and also 2 professional development days to cover the time I take to do courses, workshops etc. I list those like that in my daycare handbook but list them as paid personal days in my contract because I think if you word it paid personal days its allowed, but not if you say vacation days. Its all about wording it correctly.

Starting to feel at home...
    OMG!! THis is fantastic- I had no idea we could get paid holidays!! I'll have to revise my handbook ASAP!! (I like the 2 weeks paid holidays) But are the days set or do you give notice to the parents and if so , how much notice is fair? Also, if you take sick days, how much notice is proper?

Quote Originally Posted by Fearlessbaby View Post
    OMG!! THis is fantastic- I had no idea we could get paid holidays!! I'll have to revise my handbook ASAP!! (I like the 2 weeks paid holidays) But are the days set or do you give notice to the parents and if so , how much notice is fair? Also, if you take sick days, how much notice is proper?
    I would totally check with your local area if this is the NORM and than weighing the supply and demand in your area to see if you can be a pioneer in doing something outside that norm fee wise ... being new to childcare it is often challenging to get clients to take a chance to sign on in the first place IME if you put things in your contract that make your fees 'above the average' in your area you could be creating an additional challenge for you ... I charge more than the norm in my area too and starting out I had to lower my initially planned fees considerably to get people biting ~ I am still high end of the norm for my region but had to stick with a fee that the market could bare so to speak!

Also be VERY careful in how you WORD stat holiday, vacation and sick day policies in your contract because entitlement to stat holiday pay, vacation, and personal days are 'employed' criteria verses 'self employed' criteria for CRA ... if you do not word it carefully you can run into trouble with CRA trying to decide you were 'employed' by clients and therefore have no right to right off your expenses and so forth. I believe the CCPRN has some resources on wording to avoid trouble!

I personally choose to offer clients a choice between paying my normal weekly fee of $X.XX a week and than they do not pay me when I am closed for vacation or sick days OR they can choose option B which is 8% lower and pay a consistent weekly fee for their space which includes closure for 10 vacation days and 10 personal days ... this way it is clear I am SELF EMPLOYED because the initial option does not include paid vacation nor sick days ~ I am just offering clients a second 'consistent' payment option for my service by dividing the space they are occupying by 52 weeks instead of 48 of the initial plan depending on how clients want to budget!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    I take four weeks unpaid, but I announce the dates at the beginning of the year. So all my parents already know the dates I'm closed in August and for Christmas.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by treeholm View Post
    I take four weeks unpaid, but I announce the dates at the beginning of the year. So all my parents already know the dates I'm closed in August and for Christmas.
    This is exactly what I do. I choose my weeks of vacation for the entire year and advise my clients by letter the previous December so when they are booking their vacations for the next year they know when I will be closed.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.