Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    My daily rate only pays for 9 hours of care. I am open for ten hours a day, but parents can only leave their kids with me for nine unless they want to pay extra fees.

My hours are 7:30-5. I have worked as early as 6:30 and finished as late as 5:30.

I probably turn away a good half of my enquiries because they want pick up between 5 and 5:30 which sucks, but I have to put my family first and I have night school twice a week and my own children have extra curricular activities and need their dinner on the table at around 5:30 and also need my attention for homework help earlier rather than later in the afternoon/evening. I think it really depends on your location and like you said how far the parents commute to.

Outgoing
    My daily rate includes up to 10 hours of care but non of my families use it. Most are 8-9 hours which I think is more than reasonable

Euphoric !
    My daily fee is for nine hours maximum of care. I found that when I was open 10 hours, I had some families who used it although they did not need to and I couldn't say no because those were my hours according to our contract. I am currently open 9.5 hours, but each family has a max of 9 hours (eventually I will only be open 9 hours once my original family leaves). I would think that in Toronto the commute would add a lot of time and you might have to be open 10 hours.

What is the average hours people are doing in Ottawa?

Quote Originally Posted by amotherfirst View Post
    What is the average hours people are doing in Ottawa?
    From what I have seen its between 9 and 10 hours. I do 10 hour/day

I'm doing close to 10 hours and I find it to be a long day, especially since I have kids that don't nap, no break for me! I'm thinking that when my contracts are due that I will change it to 9 hours but am not sure if I should have potential new clients lined up before giving this information to my existing clientele. I am finding that they are going grocery shopping, clothes shopping, cooking supper doing whatever they like and not picking up their kids earlier when they can. Its crazy to me that children spend more time at my house then with their parents and that whatever free time the parents get they don't spend it with their little ones. Its sad really. I chose to stay home because I can't imagine not spending these precious years with my children, I really don't understand this mentality of someone else raising my children. I understand people have to work, but just because you are paying you leave them in care and spend your precious free time doing something other than parenting your lil ones?

I hear ya amotherfirst ... I saw this all the time when I worked in centre care and the centre was open 12 hours a day and many children were left there from open to close

One of the reasons why I have a 'fees are based on 9 hours of care' ... if they truly NEED more than that than they have to 'contract' it ahead of time and they have to pay an additional overtime fee that reflective of 'overtime' they are asking me to work ... I have found that when it is going to cost EXTRA to leave their child while they run errands or go to the gym after work suddenly they are able to manage taking them along with them and staying within the 9 hours
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Yep...this is why I changed my hours! I used to be open until 5:30, but I had one family who were the first to arrive and last to leave and they did not need those hours at all...the mom was a supply teacher and when she worked she finished at 3:15. She would go home and cook dinner first before picking up the kids...run errands etc. I felt like I shouldn't care what parents did with their time as long as I was being paid...but it bothered me. I am now open only until 5pm and all but one of my fmailies are gone by 4:30...now I truly don't care what the parents do with their time because I finish at a good time and have time for my family. I think the only way to avoid feeling used is to set your hours to something you are comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by amotherfirst View Post
    I'm doing close to 10 hours and I find it to be a long day, especially since I have kids that don't nap, no break for me! I'm thinking that when my contracts are due that I will change it to 9 hours but am not sure if I should have potential new clients lined up before giving this information to my existing clientele. I am finding that they are going grocery shopping, clothes shopping, cooking supper doing whatever they like and not picking up their kids earlier when they can. Its crazy to me that children spend more time at my house then with their parents and that whatever free time the parents get they don't spend it with their little ones. Its sad really. I chose to stay home because I can't imagine not spending these precious years with my children, I really don't understand this mentality of someone else raising my children. I understand people have to work, but just because you are paying you leave them in care and spend your precious free time doing something other than parenting your lil ones?

Euphoric !
    My hours are 6:45 - 4:45. Arrivals are done by 7:30 and pickups start at 3:45 and are done just after 4:45 and always before 5:00. In most cases the one parent drops off and the other picks up which allows them to manage with less hours. My late family travel to work together in the same car and have two other boys they pick up first so they don't have to have the youngest which I have in care in the car for so long.

At the same time I have a military family and we have flexible rules for them when one of the parents is on course/deployed of course.