Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jury duty?

Starting to feel at home...

Jury duty?

I just got summoned for jury duty. Any one know if I can get out of it?

Outgoing
    When I got summoned I sent a letter explaining that I was sole proprietor of my business and that it would be an extreme financial hardship to both my family and the families in my care. I also had the parents write letters stating the same. I got out of it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jodaycare For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    When I got summnoed I just didn't respond! That was like 6 years ago! LoL

Skysue, I am not that brave!

There are 2 lines allocated on the form to explain why it would be a hardship on you and those you "serve". I did fill it out explaining that with not knowing the set dates and times that I could be unavailable and if chosen for jury duty, I would not know until the first day of the trial how long I would need off, that this would not give the families enough time to make other arrangements.

Hope it works.
    Last edited by monkeys; 02-13-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: did not have my coffee yet/missed words

6. The Following User Says Thank You to monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I am sure that you will be able to get out of it, being a self-employed person?

Outgoing
    No advice other than to say Im so jealous- I would LOVE to be summoned for jury duty!

I would not mind being on jury duty, if I knew in advance the days I would be required to be closed. I will not find out until the first day of the trial, when the judge informs the jury of this. Its not fair for my dh families to not know when I will not be available.

Euphoric !
    Nor will you be financially compensated and after a month of living in a hotel away from your family with no income coming in since your parents are not going to pay you plus pay a substitute for that long it is a hardship to do jury duty.