Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hours of Care more then 9?

Was reading somewhere that according to the Daycare Nursery's act children should be in daycare no longer then 9 hours per day.

How many providers provide care for more then 9 hours a day?

Euphoric !
    I'm not sure that there are any laws, maybe a recommendation? Anyway, I find 9 hours to be long enough for the children and for me. I also feel that 8 hours of work plus a 1/2 hour travel morning and afternoon makes a total of 9 hours. I'm very lucky that a few of my families only use 7-7 1/2 hours because they have it worked out that the Mom drops off and the Dad picks up or some other combination. Only one of my families is actually using close to 9 hours. In the past I had a few problems and I implemented a $5/half hour early fee, late fee or overtime fee.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Starting to feel at home...
    Hmmm, I originally was going to enforce the 9 hour rule, but I'm in Toronto, so I was advised that I may have to make it 10 hours,,, I do think it depends where you are- plus some parents may work 8 hours and have 1 hour for lunch, which is 9 hours- then they need travel time,,, so in my handbook, children are "recommended" to be there 9 hours but cannot stay more than 10, and if they do, parents must pay an extra $5

I do 10 hrs/day. But my family's usually pick up early which is nice. right now my hours are 7:30 to 5:30, with one child staying until 6pm a few days a month. i am with two agencies and they have said nothing to me about how long I can work per day.

Do you find it harder to find clients who are able to drop off and pick up within the 9 hour period even with one parent dropping off and another picking up?

Outgoing
    I would imagine that travel time would be a huge factor. I live in a small city, and everything is within a 10-minute drive, so it's not a problem. Toronto traffic, however, could add an hour for some people!

apples and bananas
    The longest any one child is here right now is 9 hours. In Fall I will have one for 10 hours. She drives in Toronto traffic though and there's really no way to cut that down to 9. I don't take on clients anymore that travel that far to work.

Yes ~ nothing black and white in the DNA forcing only a 9 hour rule ... the 9 hour day is a 'recommendation' based on evidence in the field that children left in care longer than that start to have increased anxiety, stress and negative behavior ... 8 hours seems to be most children's perfect threshold, 9 hours is pushing it and over 9 hours and you can expect to have more end of the day accidents and incidents so I would be planning things that are quiet and calm to help reduce chances of behavior occurring in the first place!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a dck who is here for about 10 hours per day. It makes for a long day, for sure! I have recently changed my hours to 7:30am to 5pm, which forces new families to only stay a maximum of 9.5 hours per day. I find that if you are open for 10 hours, families will have their child(ren) stay for the full 10 hours.

Euphoric !
    The fee my parents pay covers up to 10 hours of care. Hardly anyone uses it but those that do have jobs where they actually are at work for 9 hours - ie one hour lunch is not paid time or who work clear across town so on any given day their commute time will vary depending on traffic.