Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Drawer closing; little fingers

I have 3 tiered plastic Rubbermaid storage drawers that house magnets for my magnet wall, Mr. Potato head stuff and Kinex JR. This can be a popular spot and from time to time little fingers get closed in a drawer (which hurts if other child is plying pressure to close drawer while little fingers are still on it). Also have a baby crawl toy that has a door that opens and closes both ways...again, very popular toy (they all so love opening & closing things!) so...of course, from time to time somebody closes the door on somebody's foot (gap is too big to pinch or injure, but child can't move anywhere, and cries). Any ideas to avoid this?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Hmmm ... tough one ... if you cannot find an alternative storage option that would avoid it as an issue all together perhaps for the drawers having a safety rule of 'only one child at a time' and to help with rules like that I often put a little image of 1 person on the drawer as a visual reminder to WAIT your turn?

Same thing with the toy ~ only one child at a time plays with it!

If they are not following the rules I would REMOVE the favorite toys for the rest of the day and try again tomorrow ... if they are truly popular they will be motivated to follow the rule and if not they will just stop playing with them and the issue will be resolved either way
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Can you super glue a piece of foam somewhere on the drawer to maybe stop it from closing all the way, or at least not as hard? I did that on a toy box incase the lid did happen to come down it wouldn't close all the way?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaycareLady For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    good idea daycarelady.

Euphoric !
    Love this idea! I may try this with a doll bed I have that converts into a change table...sometimes the kids close each others' fingers in that. A piece of the trim from those coloured foam mats should work well...I knew I was saving those things for something!

Quote Originally Posted by DaycareLady View Post
    Can you super glue a piece of foam somewhere on the drawer to maybe stop it from closing all the way, or at least not as hard? I did that on a toy box incase the lid did happen to come down it wouldn't close all the way?