Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Eliminating morning nap?

What age do you prefer to phase out the am nap and does it make for a longer pm nap? I have 2 dcgs who are tired in the morning but if I put them down for a morning nap they don't sleep well - or at all - in the afternoon. I skipped the morning nap today and am planning to move lunch and pm naps up by a half hour or so this afternoon. Really, REALLY hoping for more than the 45 minutes I usually get out of them - its been a long morning!
    Last edited by GymMom; 02-05-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Expansive...
    All my kids drop the morning nap by the time they come to me at 12 months. Occasionally they might nap in the wagon when we are out in the morning!

Euphoric !
    I try to phase it out as early as possible...but for some kids, they need it until close to 18 months. I just make the morning nap (40 minutes) really short and it does not interfere with afternoon naps at all.

Outgoing
    I like to have it phased out between 12-16 months. But all kids are different, need more or less sleep, get up earlier than others etc. A few months ago I transitioned my ds and a dcg at the same time. Did the same thing as you, bumped up lunch and nap and then slowly after about a week they were fine.

If I know they will be tired/miserable at lunch, I give them a half hour snooze to reenergize. Also my early arrivals tend to have am naps till a later age as well.

Euphoric !
    I give morning nap till it starts to affect the aft nap. I start by shortening the nap to only 30 mins and then keep moving it earlier in the morning. When that 30 mins starts affecting the aft nap it's gone...... Every child is different .... I have one that still naps periodically in the am and he's 15 months and I have another that started with me in nov at 10 months and we took it away instantly

Euphoric !
    I find they tend to pull out of morning naps on their own at 12 mos once in daycare. They can hear us playing and don't like to miss the action. And yes, it does make for a longer afternoon nap, or at least that's been my experience.

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    I find they tend to pull out of morning naps on their own at 12 mos once in daycare. They can hear us playing and don't like to miss the action. And yes, it does make for a longer afternoon nap, or at least that's been my experience.
    Cfred: do you tweak the lunchtime or afternoon nap time, or just go through a (hopefully small) period of time in which they're tired in the morning, then they just have a longer afternoon nap?