Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Grrrr Tax receipts info - again pls

I was writing out my tax receipts to parents and stopped everything since 5 pm... I am getting quite a headache at this point ---- its 10 pm now

I know there are a few discussions about tax receipts but, I have been reading and reading, even on RevCan website and I cant get my answers. I still need help please.

Do you put both parents names on receipts or you choose just one... like the mother perhaps ??

I open my daycare Jan 30th 2012... is it better to say from Jan 30th 2012 to Dec 31 2012 ??? Since I had unemployent in January last year, I wouldnt want to get in trouble and write Jan 1st 2012... Or should I just say : for tax year 2012 ?? I know that Revenue Canada tax receipt example says to mention : ''from ______ to ______'' so is it a MUST to write exact dates of services.

Now that SIN number yes and no thing really makes me nervous so, I went on the government website to apply for BIN number : first it gives me a link for BN and not BIN... do some of you have the right link for BIN or is it the same ? --- If I get the BIN number is it under my daycare name or personnal name ? and does it matter if all the cheques has been done to my personal name last year since I didnt have a BIN number and after I get the BIN number do parents pay me under my daycare name or can continue making cheques under my personnal name since I dont have a business bank account ? ARGHHH its sooooo complicated

Is it true what I have read on one thread : if you dont put your SIN number on receipts you can get a fine for each receipts without the SIN number ??? I thought that putting ''SIN number will be given upon request only'' was ok ...

Well thank you for any help, I will very much appreciate it !

My contract has a line that asks 'who should annual childcare tax receipts be made out to' so I follow that ... typically the lowest income earner is the one who claims childcare expenses however some clients might want the other persons or both.

My receipts for every FULL year I have been open just say for the tax year of 201X because it is most time efficient way to get my receipts done ~ however like you might FIRST year I was concerned because I had employment from other sources including EI sick leave so that year I did 'this receipt is for childcare services offered between September 3, 201X ~ December 31st 201X so it was clear I was not earning 'income during my EI time frame'.

As for the SIN verses BIN ... what province are you in because not all provinces have the BIN only option which is why CRA requests our SIN instead because ALL provinces have those My understanding is that the BN is more expensive and time consuming to apply for from my understanding it automatically comes with the HST number, WSIB, OHIP and all the other packaged business remittance accounts which we do not need or WANT to have for our business cause we are except from them!

If you are in Ontario you want to go to the service Ontario website to register for JUST the BIN ... it is a one stop shop for all registrations so it will ask you about do you want the HST and other things but with registering through this portal you have the option to click NO to everything but the BIN .... you just want to the registration of your 'business name' if you are using one which is required under the Business Names Act in Ontario

https://www.appmybizaccount.gov.on.c...z3mfZFy8JQnA!/

If you are not using a 'business name' I am not sure how it works to register for a BIN cause you technically would not need one?

As for banking the choices is your ~ if you want to create a business account you could however it comes with higher service charges and crap cause they assume you are full of money as a business however you still have the option of having a business name but choosing to have your clients weekly cheques written out to your own legal name and using a regular chequing account cause we do not do enough 'business' for banks to really notice or care that we are depositing a few cheques each month

While yes according to the CRA website you 'could be fined' for not providing proper information for taxes ~ just like a provider who has more than 5 children above her own 'could be fined' the reality of that actually happening IME are MINIMAL ... the lady on my street for example has had the Ministry out several times over her 'numbers' and never been fined ... IMO unless a business gets earmarked to be made an example of due to many infractions or public pressure you typically would get a 'warning' of the proper way to do things if you made a mistake and a chance to make it 'right' so to speak!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

I'm in Ontario also, and I do not want to give my sin number especially to one couple with whom it didn't end so well. So I'll get a bin number if its worth the 60$... I couldn't get the page to register on the cra website, it was giving just the bn form. Thanks ill try your link

Outgoing
    I do not include my SIN number on my receipts. Tax return does not ask for my personal information just the amount paid. The only instance where my sin is required is if the client gets audited. In that case i ask for a contact name for their audit and I provide the number to them directly.
    In 17 years its never been a problem and I have had several accountants as clients over the years.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gramma For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    When I had my kids in a home daycare I recieved reciepts without SIN on them and was still able to submit them with my taxes.

As a provider I do put my SIN on the reciept, however I don't like to. I'm thinking of getting a BIN instead. Are there any disadvantages to having a BIN?

Euphoric !
    Actually if you go to the form the parents fill out for childcare expenses on their income taxes it asks for the name, address and SIN of any private person providing care. In theory they are to fill that in on the form they submit.

Whether it makes a difference if they don't or not I don't know.

Starting to feel at home...
    As per the CRA info session for DHP , a business number means nothing to them for a daycare provider as it tells them nothing they need and they want the SIN number to match amounts what you claim as income and what the parents claim as expenses.

I won't release my sin to anyone other than CRA.

Ok so that darn BIN number is a solution and thats what I will do.

I called the CRA this morning and they dont know too too much either hey However the girl put me on hold to ask and yes the BIN number is useless to US to use since we cant get HST and other programs BUT since they can get our SIN number through that and it is in fact ''safer'' to put on tax receipts for parents since they dont get to know our SIN number, just the gov does.

I tried applying online but it didnt let me so I will call back at 1-800-959-5525 and they can do it for me by phone. Thats the number I was told to call by the agent that did the meeting at the CCPRN in Ottawa for tax info for daycares, anytime I have worries or questions concerning my daycare and the CRA

Expansive...
    I don't put a parents name on the receipt at all. I say childcare receipt for: ...child's name. I also don't put my sin. I have a BIN but mostly because I wanted to call my daycare a particular name. My understanding is that if you use bin number then parents must make their payments out to that name, which would then require a business bank account. I am too cheap to do that, ha ha! A way around that I suppose would be to make your business name the same as your name.