Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Sounds like a chesty cough. Poor thing. As everything is connected via the sinus' she probably has a little infection related to the cold and cough and its causing the fever. Needs to be home resting with lots of fluids. I pray to god another dr doesn't prescribe antibiotics for another's cold. It's no wonder cold and flu season just keeps getting worse and worse. Poor little thing
    If she has an infection, antibiotics wouldn't be prescribed for the cold, but for the infection. Often, sinus and bronchial infections do require antibiotics.

Too many doctors seem to give too many antibiotics rather than letting the illness run a natural course. IF it's a virus, antibiotics can do nothing, and if you take antibiotics when they are not needed....good luck having your body work proper when you do need them and take them, you will build an immunity to the antibiotic and the use of it will be as if taking a sugar pill.
    I have also learned, you should never give medication to lower a fever unless the fever reaches a dangerous level....103 or higher. The fever is the bodies signs of naturally working to overcome an unwanted virus. If there is a fever...it's a good thing. If you lower the fever with medication you are taking away the bodies natural ability to fight the illness. I have had so many parents medicate to drop a fever and try to bring there kids, explaining, :the fever is gone" so they can come back to care. Not here!

So right kidlove. With acceptable levels, I always leave a fever alone. Your body knows what it is doing. Also, never use cough supressants unless dr says so and even then sparingly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

I do understand antibiotics resistance. I was just clarifying that infection is the correct usage of antibiotics. This kid doesn't have a fever from her cold. She has a fever because she has an infection somewhere. An infection is not a virus, but a cold is. Normally when you develop a secondary fever during/after a cold, it's from an infection of some kind. Colds on their own don't normally come with a fever.

Euphoric !
    I'm glad you sent her home! My 2.5 year old daughter had a bad cough last week with no fever or other symptoms...I thought it was just a cough due to a cold, but when we finally took her to the doctor, it turned out she had pneumonia! And she had no fever...just a really phlegmy cough. I will never minimalize a cough again.

When her dad (whom I love, and who seems to be a really invested parent, btw) picked her up, he said, "it's weird. You said she was sick last night, and when we got her home she was fine, and then again this morning she was fine, and now you're saying she's sick again".

I'm not sure what he meant by that. It seemed to imply that I was reading too much into her illness. Sorry. Crying, pain and fever. I had to call.

Alpha my hubby was the same way these last few days till it hit him fully. Felt crappy w/fever, then fine, then crappy. Ugggh is it spring yet?

Euphoric !
    I would have called too. If she cannot participate in our day-to-day activities, she is too sick to be here. I will make an allowance if the child is willing/able to just hang out on the couch, have quiet time, etc. But the fever and crying, equals a call to the parents.
    As for dad's remark; I think I would have just said "Well, I can only tell you what is going on while she is here, and she is very uncomfortable today. I will be in touch to see how she is doing."
    Chances are, her being "fine" meant that mom or dad snuggled up on the couch with her and cuddled all day/evening. That is NOT "fine" for daycare!!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    I do understand antibiotics resistance. I was just clarifying that infection is the correct usage of antibiotics. This kid doesn't have a fever from her cold. She has a fever because she has an infection somewhere. An infection is not a virus, but a cold is. Normally when you develop a secondary fever during/after a cold, it's from an infection of some kind. Colds on their own don't normally come with a fever.
    Exactly this. A fever is a symptom of an infection. That's why I send children home when a fever is getting close to 101 because they need to see a doctor. If parents just medicate to bring down the fever they are not getting to the root of the problem, ear, throat or chest infection? If left untreated there could be a serious problem.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.