Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Euphoric !
    Cfred, nope nothing wrong with that!! If you can charge higher and have clients that are willing and can afford to pay that, then great!!

I don't live somewhere where that is possible but if I did, I would charge higher like you. I agree that quality care is the most important thing that all of us dcp's should be focused on. Fortunately, we own our home already so we are able to "get by" on our wages and still have money for extra's. I do however have a budget(altho, we haven't been following it lately lol) and coupon to make the most out of what we have.

I have a few friends who have done hdc's and have had to close up because they just weren't making enough money and they had to work out of the home again. They couldn't raise their fee any higher or they wouldn't have any clients. I hope that I don't have to do this but it's always on the back of my mind......especially when I have a spot to fill and no takers!!

Euphoric !
    I totally understand. I lived in a rural area till last summer and had low rates as I had to. It finally got to that point, that you mention....advertisi ng, needing to fill spaces, but no takers. Had to move, purely for business. It's been a real eye opener to move into a highly residential area....in a good way! I've had to change the way I advertise and sort of really tout my schtick, but it's paying off. There are some providers here who are shutting down as they can't seem to pull people in. They have much lower rates and I feel badly, but I figure it's for other reasons than fees. I'm on my own so am really focused on making a decent income....would prefer not to live in a cardboard box in my 70s I just bought my house last year, so lots of payments to go yet. Must be great to have it paid off!!!!

It's such a great job in so many ways, but really, there's such a learning curve to it. No matter how each one of us chooses to run our businesses, I think we all deserve some kudos for developing some business savvy while still hanging on to our nurturing natures. I don't think the two naturally go together.

Euphoric !
    I would have to agree...if a provider with low rates can't get clients it is probably because of other things. If a parent is given 2 choices of great daycare's I can't see why they wouldn't choose the cheaper one.

I commend you on being a single mom and making it work!! WTG Congrats on your home purchase, it will feel great when the payments are finished. To be fair, my SO had his home almost paid off when we met so I really didn't do much to "earn" it. It is nice though to not have rent or a mortgage. I am the spender in our relationship and he is the saver......I would love to buy a bigger home but then we would have a mortgage again for a few years and he just doesn't want to do that. (which I know is the right thing to do but I still want a bigger home lol)

I totally agree with your last paragraph!! We all run our hdc's differently but as long as what we are doing works for us and our families, that is all that matters. I agree, the business and the nurturing don't always go hand in hand. It can be really hard to separate the business relationship with the parents and the personal nurturing relationship you have with their child but at times it needs to be done!

Euphoric !
    Yes, I would think they would go with the cheaper, should the services be similar. I've made great efforts to stand out...offer something a little different. Actually, I'm not sure it's really THAT much different as opposed to being sold differently. I'm taking more of the 'hippie approach' which, in this day and age in which people are paying more attention to products they use, foods they eat, nature, etc, seems to be a bit of a great selling tool....and I sell it hard. This neighbourhood is absolutely overflowing with daycares (I actually back onto one), but I still get people in at higher rates. I'm convinced that it's the pitch and schtick...because they can get cheaper.

I love being a single mother. Much easier than married life (in my case). I would love to have my house paid off....34 yrs to go, hahahaha! You must love not having that payment! I'm with your partner. No mortgage is the way to go! I'm not the best at saving....always seem to have a trip in the works. Thank goodness I prefer roughing it! Spend away girl....can't take it with us....though I can be buried with my Italian leather boots

Euphoric !
    That pitch sounds great!! Keep doing what works

I say the same thing....can't take it with us so might as well enjoy it now!!