Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Price of Childcare vs. Quality of Childcare?????

Price vs. Quality:
    Why is there even any debate? We are talking about wonderful priceless little human beings.....and I am still surprised when I run into a parent who sets cost above quality!
    Had a Mom recently call for care of her unborn, first child! I informed her I was near my limit for infants so I would need a schedule to know what days she would need care in order to give her a solid answer on whether or not I would have room. She also asked how much I charged. I informed her I charged a certain amount per day for infants (which is about the average for our area) not high at all! but I also informed her that I charge a minimum due for each week, but was willing to go outside my minimum due IF we could manage to work her schedule needs in with the current part time family I have. Long story short, I gave the schedule to the other (current) Mom I have, and she said she would be willing to work around the days needed, which I greatly appreciated. I called the pregnant Mom back to let her know and she said "thanks, but we decided to go with the daycare center in town, because they charge a daily rate and it's cheaper"......
    My concern is this: not only did she not ask, how I ran my day care or any questions regarding the direct care of her child, but I didn't get a chance to even explain to her, that centers don't provide food, wipes, and many extras. (I do) day cares have MANY people in contact with children, not just one solid reliable adult, this particular daycare has an outside area for play that is about 20 by 30 feet tops and is all rock, no grass, no room to run, and is surrounded by bar fence because the busy road is literally 5 feet from where the kids play......not to mention, a lot of people have come to me from this particular center and complained of improper treatment of their children and such.....I'm not saying all centers are not good, but this one in particular seems to have a bad reputation, and why oh why, do you forgo quality care over cost of care? thanks for allowing the vent!!!!! I feel better now....i do treat life as "everything is meant to be, and when a family doesn't work out, I do trust that it wasn't a good match and that's fine, but why do some focus on the money rather than what is more important?

It's sad indeed. I had a friend's coworker call me on his recommendation, and he was excited and all ready to interview, and then he asked my daily fee. My fee is competitive, even on the lower side for my area, and he said, "Ohh. We can't afford that. Our last provider charged $20 no receipts". Um. I told him that I was very sorry then, and it was nice chatting, and asked him if he knew that his provider not claiming income was illegal? I said, "if she's cutting corners there, I'd be concerned where else she's cutting corners, aren't you?" He mumbled yes and said goodbye. LOL

On the flipside though, occasionally you get those parents who don't care about the cost. I have one family like that now, and a new one starting in summer, who asked about fees AFTER everything else, and didn't try to haggle. I also had a daycare parent last year say to me something like, "ohh yes I saw that lady's ad before I found you, but she was ten dollars cheaper per day than everyone else, so I was suspicious and didn't call her". WIN. So...there are parents whose main concern isn't saving a buck, thankfully.

I do agree, and I have had most parents that said the extra $ is worth the extra quality of care. I only want that type of person in my day care anyway, not because they are willing to pay more but because those are the folks that truly appreciate the care I provide and are willing to pay for it knowing their child is safe and loved first and foremost! had a Mom tell me once, she wished she would win the lottery so she could pay me my current income but ONLY tale her son, so he could get ALL of me. That was nice to hear. Just shocks the heck out of me that others see it different. I have also had parents comment on "how cheap another provider was" and their first concern was...if they are that low, there must be a reason!
    When I get a call for care, and the first question is "how much do you charge?" The conversation is done on my end! If that's your first concern? this isn't a good match!

Just like any other business, if the price is too good then be suspicious. Exactly right Alphaghetti, the low ballers or no receipt providers are cutting corners somewhere and I bet it is at the childrens expense.

perhaps it's pb and J every day for lunch?

Sadly folks, a lot of parents put the $$ before their child. How many times have we all got a call for a spot only to have the 1st question out of their mouth is...."What is your daily rate?" I have heard from other parents how they have seen daycare providers with 10 or more children in one small dedicated daycare room. I know of one provider through a friend like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Other Mummy View Post
    Sadly folks, a lot of parents put the $$ before their child. How many times have we all got a call for a spot only to have the 1st question out of their mouth is...."What is your daily rate?" I have heard from other parents how they have seen daycare providers with 10 or more children in one small dedicated daycare room. I know of one provider through a friend like this.
    Makes me think of a puppy mill

Euphoric !
    I will give this particular person the benefit of the doubt, as she has not yet held that tiny little person in her arms and realized that he/she is more important than "the bottom line". So let's hope, in this case, that it is ignorance.
    Unfortunately, I know that many parents are like that, though.
    I know how much I am worth. I provide a great place for kids to be while mommy and daddy are working, and it is worth every penny I charge. I will hold out for the parents that understand this.

funny you say that Mom-in-alberta: those were my exact thought last night as I continued to kind of mull it over in my head......I came to the realization that, once she has that beautiful baby in her hands and has to hand her over to another to care for her each day, she will feel very diferent. My only concern for her is, by then it will be too late. thanks for your view!

Shy
    As a mom I see both sides of this coin. I would hope everyone would want the best childcare they can afford but sometimes your budget just can't be stretched anymore than it already is. I am lucky enough to have a high paying job and therefore can afford to worry more about quality, in fact I didn't consider cost at all when looking for care. However my sister is a struggling single mom who barely makes enough to make rent. I help her out in may ways by buying her diapers and wipes, baby clothes and dropping off groceries but she still barely squeaks by....so in her case she can only afford cheap daycare.
    That being said I have no idea what people who make enough money to afford quality care but still look for a 'bargain' are thinking!! They need a major priority shift IMO.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nikki999 For This Useful Post: