Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Wanting your feedback :)

I wanted to bounce a situation off of the "parents" to see/read their feedback

I'm curently expecting #2 and due mid-June. My mother lives in the house next door and helps out quite a bit! The kids love her!! Parents are welcomed to meet with her as well on a seperate day. She's not "old" (under 50yrs) so it's not a concern of getting tired etc. I am looking to fill ONE spot. My plan is to take off 2 weeks when my baby is born to recover then daycare will start up again with my mother over often to provide assistance. I currently have my own daughter who's 3yrs and provide care for a 3yr old and a 5yr old who's after school only (until summer time then all day).

a) what are your MAIN concerns with signing with me if everything else about me & my center is a "perfect match"?

b) if I mentioned not taking the 2 weeks off and that my mother would be here all the time to help would that be a better for you (except for the day(s) I'm in labour of course)?

Any comments & suggestions are welcome!!

Thank you!!
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

apples and bananas
    Wow, you have a perfect set up! None of this would be a factor for me at all! I would be happy to sign with you. I would want you to be upfront and honest with me about your mom being over. And I'd want to meet her, just because of the amount of contact she will have with the kids when you are in your first few months with a new baby.

I would have questions about what plans you have when your daughter starts school. What kind of vacation your mother takes. I think you should also clarify if you close for vacay at all or if mom takes over for you etc.

If I was interviewing with you I may go as far as inquire into how many other grandchildren mom has. She's such a huge part of your plan I'd want to make sure that you are the priority and she doesn't watch other grandchildren as well that would take her away from the plan you have set up.

You have to be careful. There is an assumption that mom will always be there to take over if you have sick days, if your kids are sick, if you're on vacation, if you have appointments etc. If that's the case GREAT! If not, make sure you clarify.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by apples and bananas View Post
    Wow, you have a perfect set up! None of this would be a factor for me at all! I would be happy to sign with you. I would want you to be upfront and honest with me about your mom being over. And I'd want to meet her, just because of the amount of contact she will have with the kids when you are in your first few months with a new baby. of course...which I arrange

I would have questions about what plans you have when your daughter starts school. What kind of vacation your mother takes. I think you should also clarify if you close for vacay at all or if mom takes over for you etc. My daughter will start school in 2014 and will take the bus to & from. I will contuning with daycare as is. My mother goes on vacation with us or maybe a long weekend here & there. I have in my contract that I close for my family vacations. my main issue now is re: my "maternity leave".....it seems to be scaring all prospects away and I don't get why!

If I was interviewing with you I may go as far as inquire into how many other grandchildren mom has. She's such a huge part of your plan I'd want to make sure that you are the priority and she doesn't watch other grandchildren as well that would take her away from the plan you have set up. Good point. She's not a Full-Time person but will be more-so ONLY for the first few months after baby is born until routines are established again. As for grandchildren my kids are her only as my brother is only 22

You have to be careful. There is an assumption that mom will always be there to take over if you have sick days, if your kids are sick, if you're on vacation, if you have appointments etc. If that's the case GREAT! If not, make sure you clarify.
    Yup I want to make it clear that this is a temporary thing for the first 2-3 months after the baby is born. Otherwise contract rules still apply re: MY closures & vacations

I'm getting lots of inquiries but as soon as they find out I'm expecting they go a different route. Common issue is the uncertiananty of when to book off the 2 weeks since we can't plan when the baby arrives so I thought if I mentioned from now on that I wouldn't be "closed" after the baby is born BUT will have a helper it would be easier/better.....

Euphoric !
    I think, as a parent, my concerns would be:
    1) I would wonder if 2 weeks might not be enough time and once baby arrives, you might change your mind and need to close for longer
    2) If you did stay open....I would be concerned that maybe you might not have the time and energy for the other kids as you would be waking in the night and dealing with a newborn and a possibly jealous older sibling (even though you have help on hand).

I am sure you can do it, but these would be my concerns. I suppose as a parent, if I had another option without these possible complications, I would probably go elsewhere to be honest. I am not trying to discourage you...only telling you what I would think if I interviewed with you. I hope you find that perfect family who is willing to take a chance on it because they love you that much

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Remind parents that you will be operating but modified right from the start because you have to do it for your own older child anyways. They may have forgotten that babies sleep a lot and you really can put your baby on a daycare schedule that fits well so they need nursed during naptimes and freeplay times, and nap during mealtimes and craft time.

Mention that your mom will be there to pick up any slack for as often or as long as you need and that include helping you after daycare hours so that you can get extra rest.

Best laid plans can only take you so far - what if you need a C-section or baby needs extra medical care - that is what is going through parents minds.

Have you considered taking on a school age child just till summer that would be older and more self sufficient and then advertise to fill spaces for sept when your baby would be 3 months and you would be back into routine.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamma_Mia View Post
    ......She's not "old" (under 50yrs) so it's not a concern of getting tired etc.
    Ahem, over 50 is old? I'm coming to get you with my cane in my wheelchair and my dentures are going to fly out when I'm yelling at you, young whippersnapper!!!
    That's my comment! Just kidding around of course, but a lot of women in their 50's are holding together a lot better than some of their 30 year old peers. I'm just saying!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    Ahem, over 50 is old? I'm coming to get you with my cane in my wheelchair and my dentures are going to fly out when I'm yelling at you, young whippersnapper!!!
    That's my comment! Just kidding around of course, but a lot of women in their 50's are holding together a lot better than some of their 30 year old peers. I'm just saying!
    hahaha no not what I meant at all!!!
    I was trying to say she's a young grandma.....my friends have mom's in their 60-70's and that MY mom isn't even 50 yet! Sometimes people think grandma and assume an elderly person, kwim?

Euphoric !
    MammaMia, I'm glad you knew I was just trying to be a nut and make you smile. But I actually advertise on my website and in my ad that I'm a 'young grandmother' and I just signed on my last two clients for EXACTLY that reason! Don't worry about it.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Hahahaha.... Funny girls. I know what you are saying though. My mom is in her late 60s, and is "old" (not in age, but in body and mentality). But my mom-in-law is in her early 50s and has a totally different persona, so seems MUCH younger.

If they have the flexibility to take the 2 weeks off whenever you need, then I think that is the best plan. However, if that is scaring people off, then I would absolutely offer Gramma as back-up. Make sure that Gramma knows what this will entail, as well as prospective parents. Are you going to be totally off and it will be at Gramma's house? Or at your house and Gramma will just be doing the majority of the work?
    And then, I agree, discuss (esp with Gramma) the options if you need a section, etc.

Good luck with filling the space!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I also think of myself as being a young grandmother. I'm in my mid-50s, but have the energy and stamina of many 20 year olds. I wanted to buy my granddaughter a book about "Grandma and me" but I was shocked to see how the grandma in the book was portrayed... grey hair, knitting, baking etc. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I haven't started to go grey yet (don't colour my hair), and I don't knit or bake. I love to dance and do sports, so I just don't fit the stereotype. Actually, none of my grandma-friends fit the stereotype. The grandma in the books is today's great-grandma LOL