Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Magic Milk Experiment

We are exploring the letter M sound this month so I did this with the crew this afternoon!

Just wanted to share that they were mesmerized with it for over 20 minutes ... 4 boys under the age of 4 excited about dancing milk!

I when you can do something so simple and yet so magical that at pick up time all they can talk about to the parents is how the milk dances and went 'bluum bluum' as they show with their hands how it exploded in the bowl ... 20 minutes well spent this afternoon!

Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I've never heard of magic milk! What is it? Do you have a link or anything? Thanks!!

Dose the imbedded Youtube video I shared not show up for you ~ it is there for me when I look?

Just in case here is link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW-bn9zssak
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks! I am definitely going to do this tomorrow Looks like a snow day...my 4.5 year old will be home...this will definitely be fun to keep he and his friends busy Did you give them each a dish to do it themselves? I am thinking of giving each a small bowl to try after demonstrating...

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    ....Did you give them each a dish to do it themselves...
    Yup ... I role modeled with all of them and than they each got their own turns except the 10 month old ~ he just watched the rest of them giggling ... we did choose to do it 'one at a time' and take turns with the bowl and so forth ... for two reasons ~ I have one almost 4 year old whose working on 'waiting his turn' so this was something exciting to keep him focused while waiting for his turn and shamefully the second reason is you use quite a bit of food coloring and with 4 boys I did not want a dish of food coloring going flying in the kitchen while I was looking one way or another between them all .... but if you think your crew can manage with their own bowls I would so go for it ... outside I would but inside I admit I am a bit more cautious with the messy stuff cause we've just renovated our kitchen last year and my spouse will kill me if I stain our new cupboards with craft stuff cause he wanted to wait until I retired and I pushed to do it now
    Loris Malaguzzi

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Does anyone know the science behind this so I can explain it to my school age children?

I kept it simple for the preschoolers with just the soap added to the mix makes the milk feel relaxed with less tension and allows the food coloring to dance around through it bouncing into each other and the relaxing soap ... but the more complex language and descriptions as to why for older kids ....

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemis.../magicmilk.htm

Milk consists of a lot of different types of molecules, including fat, protein, sugars, vitamins, and minerals. If you had just touched a clean cotton swab to the milk (try it!), not much would have happened. The cotton is absorbent, so you would have created a current in the milk, but you wouldn't have seen anything especially dramatic happen.

When you introduce detergent to the milk, several things happen at once. The detergent lowers the surface tension of the liquid so that the food coloring is free to flow throughout the milk. The detergent reacts with the protein in the milk, altering the shape of those molecules and setting them in motion. The reaction between the detergent and the fat forms micelles, which is how detergent helps to lift grease off of dirty dishes. As the micelles form, the pigments in the food coloring get pushed around. Eventually equilibrium is reached, but the swirling of the colors continues for quite a while before stopping.
    Loris Malaguzzi

As usual another great idea from Reggio Thanks I'm going to do this tomorrow

Thanks for sharing. This is a wonderful activity ill be sharing with my kiddos

Outgoing
    I couldn't wait and did it with my kids (and husband) before the kids went to bed. It worked pretty good, but not the same, amazing results like in the video. I was using Sunlight detergent, so I may pick up some Dawn sometime! Also, since Reggio, you said it affects the fat in the milk, I am curious if it would work better in Homo milk! Ill be experimenting with this some more! Thanks again!