Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Picky Eater

Outgoing
    For me I stick to what I have made ... a small amount will be served and if they eat it they receive praise and if they dont too bad. They are not getting a second option. They will not starve to death that is for sure and I am not running a restaurant. I have this little guy very picky and I always ask him to take at least one bite before he goes back playing whit is friends. He's usually cooperative for one bite. I dont push it... it just causes stress for me and the child.

Quote Originally Posted by KingstonMom View Post
    Sorry to piggyback this thread, but I'm in the same boat with a new dcb. What would you do if a dck didn't touch anything that was offered for lunch? Wld you offer a 2nd healthy alternative instead? (Though that cld result in them ALL wanting a 2nd choice, I know)

Also, what would you do if NONE of the kids touched what was served? Haha maybe I'm a horrible cook, but this happened to me once with my homemade chilli! It really was good, but they all, one by one turned their noses up.
    I never offer a 2nd choice, EVER. I too had this problem with chili...then I put fish crackers in it...they loved going fishing for the crackers & they ate it. So, that has been my go to for anything they won't all eat (last week it was beef stew).
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

i have always been firm on meal time! I inform the kids that what we eat is healthy and helps them to grow big and strong, what kid doesn't desire to grow "big and strong" I have gotten it all...from throwing up all over the lunch table when I ask them to try everything, to gagging on green beans, I had a boy try and swallow a cherry tomato whole and choke (I now cut in two), but they still have to try everything. I know I am a big meany, but I am not serving a plate of garbage or maggots I am serving good and healthy food. They are required to show respect when they are at my table, no complaining, no crying as a matter of fact, I like to hear "thank you for lunch" and see smiles. As long as they attempt I am proud of them, if they finish it all, even more proud! With some picky eaters, I will offer the rest a yummy surprise after lunch if they clean their plates and you would be amazed at how fast that "picky" eater will eat their food as well!
    I do have to add, things are much more difficult if the parents are not encouraging the same behavior at home as well, I always talk with the parents and inform them of the issue, let them know what I expect here and point out, the best results will come from us all being on the same page. Just like any other issue, potty training, behavior expectations...if only one of us is working with the child, they will get mixed signals and will make things twice as hard to deal with. Heres to hoping your parents are on board with you, and not giving in at home!

and NEVER give an alternate choice! that just sends a message to the child that THEY ARE IN CHARGE! not you! keep the power in your hands and encourage them to eat the healthy food you have provided. let them go hungry if they refuse, but no fun rewards for the rest of the day! they will figure it out on their own.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by KingstonMom View Post
    Sorry to piggyback this thread, but I'm in the same boat with a new dcb. What would you do if a dck didn't touch anything that was offered for lunch? Wld you offer a 2nd healthy alternative instead? (Though that cld result in them ALL wanting a 2nd choice, I know)

Also, what would you do if NONE of the kids touched what was served? Haha maybe I'm a horrible cook, but this happened to me once with my homemade chilli! It really was good, but they all, one by one turned their noses up.
    I'm sure you are a wonderful cook! I keep a daily logbook, not for the parents but for me. I make notes for myself when children are new whether they have eaten the food I prepared or not. For instance, if they wouldn't eat a wrap that I made I will have a note about that and I will try it again maybe 3-4 months down the road. I give the parents verbal updates daily and get their advice on what they serve at home to their children so I can prepare the meals so every child is happy and has a full tummy.

But NO there is no other alternative. We aren't running restaurants. It's a learning process just like with your own children to see what each child will eat or not. But I agree with the poster who mentioned that they don't allow children to say ewww or other words like that at the table. I'll allow 'I don't like that', but that's IT!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    NO 2ND CHOICE!!!! LoL
    I stressed in the beginning about who was eating what, and how much. But over time, I have relaxed about it. I know that I make good, wholesome food, that is good for them. I do not (to save my sanity) try to cook anything "exotic". Leave that to the parents! I just end up throwing away what equates to MY money.
    I usually provide a protein, a carb and a veggie/fruit at meal time, in addition to a glass of milk. At snack, there are at least 2 options from different food groups. That means that nobody should go home "STARVINGGGGG".
    I do take note of what just flat out doesn't go over well, with the group as a whole. And maybe I will take that out of rotation for a little while, and try again later. In my experience, "mixed up foods" (casseroles, chili and stews) are not winners. But I know a lot of ladies here serve them all the time. So it just depends on the crew you have.
    And have you noticed? Every parent thinks (or tells you!) that their kid is a "good eater". Liars!!! LoL

Euphoric !
    I had a little boy in care for over 3 years who was the pickiest eater I have ever met. He wouldn't eat any food that was mixed together, like a casserole or chili or even pasta with sauce. Sometimes I wanted to make one of these things because all the other children like them. I stuck to my rule that you have to do your very best to eat your food before you get fruit but 0I would give him extra food at afternoon snack. I always told his Mom the truth at pickup, that he wouldn't eat his lunch and he might be extra hungry at supper.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

I have a dcg who sits and looks at what has been served and doesn't attempt to eat until she realizes I am ignoring her not eating and am not offering another choice (like at home) then she eats and finishes everything. Nice try tootes!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Big success today, dcg ate at lunch!!!! She ate an entire whole wheat carrot cake pancake!!!! It was healthy, not prepackaged and she liked it!!!!

yay! big step!