Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Maternity Leave and a fight I need some good advice!!!!!!

I have a new little boy he started In Jan of this year. His mom and dad signed a contract that say they must pay for all days missed at daycare including sick days. They came over and caused an argument in front of other kids because the wanted to pay me half for a day. and I said no because they have signed an agreement about this already.They called me a few hurt full names as well. I was sure that they would pull out their child and I am still worried that they might and are just saying that they dont want to.

The next day they apologized and said they did not want to take there baby out because the liked what I do.But She also announced to me that she was 3 months pregnant and due in august.So I asked her what her plan is for when the new baby comes and she said she wanted to keep him in while on her maternity leave. But im not sure if I trust her.

I posted an ad up for a space in case she wanted to pull him out and the lady I spoke to is looking for august.

Should I kick this family out for what they did or should I cancel my interview and trust them. If the answer is kick them out do I kick them out now or do I wait till august. If I wait until august is that to long to wait without another reason to let them go and take someone else?

Shy
    Thats horrible, I would of terminated them right then and there. You shouldnt be called any names no matter how upset they were. They knew what was in the contract, they were just trying to bully you into getting some money back. So sorry this happened to you

I wouldn't trust them. They have shown you their ugly side and have insulted and disrespected you. Trust your gut. It is telling you they are not being truthful about their future plans. Protect your income and interview this latest contact. If this interview doesn't pan out, then continue to search for a replacement. They yelled at you in front of the kids, if it was me I would terminate immediately for verbal abuse.

Euphoric !
    If anyone called me names, that would be the end of them. I would terminate on the spot and start advertising to fill the spot immediately. I would not give notice as I would not want these people to come into my home again. That shows a complete lack of respect for you. I can understand if there is some disagreement over days paid...but we discuss things as adults and name calling is NEVER okay.

Outgoing
    I would have terminated for the rude and disrespectful behaviour right away. I just had to do that with one family and honestly it was awful to do because the little boy is the absolute sweetest and most well behaved boy I have ever had in care!

As for holding them a spot or keeping their child. That would be up to you. I can tell you from my own experience that I would never do it again. I held a spot with the little one only attending 2 days a week during mom's mat leave as I was promised both children 3 days a week. Well, needless to say once they realized the cost of 2 spaces they pulled both kids 2 weeks after starting them and a couple days before Xmas! I was lucky that they paid a month's wages in lieu of notice, but still not easy to replace 2 kids at that time of year so unexpectedly!

Euphoric !
    They called you names and were completely obnoxious. They are going on mat leave and most likely pulling their child from your care as soon as it is convenient for them. They want to use you for a few months. Of course you should terminate. I'm sorry but those are the facts so take care of YOU.

I would advertise, fill the space as of 2 weeks ahead so you can give the current family the 2 weeks notice and they will probably be rude again and if you can get them out immediately that may be your best option but it depends on your contract.

There is no way you should ever allow anybody to show any kind of disrespect to you EVER! It always makes me very angry when I hear a story like this.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Starting to feel at home...
    I also agree with the others. Do the interview and fill the space because once the mat leave kicks in, these guys are going to leave. Even if they've told you that they won't, they've already shown that they can't be trusted.

Personally if something like that every happened to me I would terminate them NOW and tighten my belt for the family budget until I filled the space ... at the most I would give them notice NOW if I thought I could stand looking at them for a couple weeks!

I personally have no use for abusive behavior specially in an adult they would be gone even if they did 'apologize' because IME that is not enough ~ saying hurtful untrue and vengeful things in anger is never acceptable ~ it is like driving nails into the soul! Someone can try to remove the nails with a 'sorry' but the holes they made are still there ... sometimes depending on the relationship if the behavior never occurs again they can heal over time but other times those holes never heal and the relationship can never be the same ... and more often than not people with that type of temper and lack of impulse control to say such things in the first place do not 'learn' and next time they get upset they will verbally attack you again cause it is in their nature and why would anyone want to surround themselves with people like that .... emotional abuse is still abuse and actually can be more harmful

IMO if you are still 'angry' enough about it to want to terminate them allowing them to continue in care until you get your ducks in order with a new client and than saying 'you are being terminated for something you did 7 months ago' just cannot end well ... in their mind they 'apologized' and are therefore off the hook and you risk being seen as both unreasonable and unprofessional for terminating them so 'late' after the fact and having them be angry about it ... if the apology is not enough for you to move forward without poor feelings TODAY than you should consider letting them go NOW while it is a natural consequence for their behavior! If there is a problem it should be dealt with immediately ~ if it warrants termination that should happen immediately or if you want to give the client a 'second chance' it should be made clear if it happens 'again' it will be immediate termination!

IMO what you are suggesting would be like if your child lost his temper and attacked a sibling today and he said 'sorry' so you let it go but than 7 months from now you punished him for it after the fact or if you behaved poorly in the office and you told your boss you were sorry and he let it go and waited to fire you for7 months down the road ... there is no way the person, even though they behaved badly in the first place, is going to accept that with grace when so much time has passed and they assumed the issue was 'resolved' and have moved on!

Or flip this scenario .... if the shoe was on the other foot and a provider did something a client did not like, the provider apologized and thought they made amends and a month or more passed and than got blindside by a client terminating them for it months later .... we would all be rubbing their shoulder and saying how wrong that is for them to have basically appeared to have accepted the apology while continuing to carry a grudge of mistrust and hurt towards the provider.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

I agree with the ladies also. It is obvious that if they had problems with paying you full amount due as the contract states, plus if they have full salaries, that they will have problems paying you when she is on mat leave with what... 50% of her salary ?!?! Less income for them will probably end up being less income for you as well ! I would have a huge problem facing them and being cordial after that !

I did the same... keeping the family even after a big ''misunderstanding'' and its still an akward relationship.

Post without saying anything and when you are safe, do what you have to do. If they see the add and asks questions, you dont have to explain yourself to them... someone else could be leaving ?!?! lol

Mean idiots, I still cant beleive parents, grown adults, can be so disrespectful !! Especially toward a person that takes care of their child

Outgoing
    They would have been gone that day. If you allow them to say they will escalate their behavior. They are apologizing because they need care now. As soon as they have another option they will start being mean again.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer