Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Picky Eater

Starting to feel at home...

Picky Eater

I had a new family start at the beginning of the month. I have forgotten what it is like to have a picky eater in the house.

I serve breakfast, lunch, and 2 snacks and I am lucky if dhg eats more than a bite of food. She has asked for food between meals/snack, but I remind her that we eat at set times. I can't help, but feel bad for her as I know she is hungry. I also know that giving her what she wants, won't help her either.

I serve a variety of healthy foods, and find she will only try something that has been pre-packaged (granola bars, some crackers, etc.) When I served grilled cheese sandwiches (whole wheat bread and real cheese) she only ate a quarter of it. I asked her mom about eating habits at home, but it seems like this maybe the first time there has been any expectations with food and eating.

I have noticed that the other kids are now, eating less and putting up a fuss about what is being served.

Oh, how I wish I had a magic wand that made every child a good eater.

Euphoric !
    Oh yes...the pickyness is contagious. I have one who is picky (although she has improved a lot since she started with me in November) and now my daughter suddenly no longer likes green beans (after hearing dcg say it 14 million times). It's tough when they start with you at an older age. My dcg tells me she eats Captain Crunch for breakfast...so I know what the problem is

Shy
    I have picky eaters too. I just stick to my schedule and they will follow along eventually. I always ask for updates on what the kids are eating at home to help guid my meal planning. I have one mom who always says a hungry kid will never starv with food in front of them.

Euphoric !
    Obviously her parents aren't firm with her at mealtimes to eat healthy food and give in to her which is not a great parenting choice. However, you must stick to your meal plans and keep providing her with the healthy choices but just give her a tiny bit of everything. If she's hungry and she learns there is no other option she will eat eventually and give up the power struggle. She knows she controls things at home but she will learn that she can't control things at daycare.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Thanks guys, I think I just needed the reassurance of others. Mom said today that they are starting to increase their expectations around food. Dhg drank her milk at lunch and I found out she won't drink it at home. Yay, two small victories!!!!

Euphoric !
    Yeah, my picky eater started improving after about a month...for the first month she just looked at her plate and barely touched anything. Now she is eating all kinds of things she won't eat at home. I don't expect her to like everything, but at least she know eats a huge quantity of what I serve. It comes with time if you stay strong and just serve what you serve...eventually she will start eating (hopefully).

Outgoing
    Sorry to piggyback this thread, but I'm in the same boat with a new dcb. What would you do if a dck didn't touch anything that was offered for lunch? Wld you offer a 2nd healthy alternative instead? (Though that cld result in them ALL wanting a 2nd choice, I know)

Also, what would you do if NONE of the kids touched what was served? Haha maybe I'm a horrible cook, but this happened to me once with my homemade chilli! It really was good, but they all, one by one turned their noses up.

No worries about piggybacking, its getting my picky eater brain awake and getting me back to being ready for the struggles and victories ahead.

I only serve what is on my menu, no second healthy choices. The child will then learn if they keep holding out something else will be offered.

If I have a new item I am trying out, then I make sure it's served with a familiar food. I made stew once and it did not go over well, but I served it with a salad and a whole wheat bun. I do the same at snack when trying a new or less familiar fruit.

So what when they cry that they want to go home as they hated what you served at lunch and were STARVING. - This happened this week. Also same child will say "I don't want that when is snack and what are we having?" I have tried " if you don't eat this now then this is for snack " but then they cry(a lot) they want to go home as they are starving!! (4 years old). I'm not too sure parents are fully onboard with good eating habits (in the early am) as they often turn up with half eaten gronola (sp) bars, which go straight in garbage but how do you deal with this type of situation (again sorry for piggybacking -good word)

Euphoric !
    I don't allow the children to say eeeww, I hate that, that's gross, ect because it gets the others ones on the same bandwagon. If a child said to me " I hate that when's snack and what is it?" I would tell them snack looks exactly like lunch but if the lunch is all gone then it will be something really yummy". And if the child ate the lunch I would make sure the snack was that child's favourite if they didn't eat the lunch then I would follow through. It wouldn't take long for that child to start eating without the fuss. However it's the fuss at home that works and that's why they are picky eaters.
    Picky eaters are created not born !