Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

VENTING - First bounced cheque

So....I realize that this is a relatively small weed in the garden of life, but I need to get this off my chest.....I got a phone call from my bank last night. It appears that one of the cheques that I deposited last week was declined. As 4 out of my 5 clients have been with me for over a year now and I have never had any problems with their cheques, it was pretty straightforward to figure out where the problem was. What really steamed me though, was when I went to contact the parents to discuss this matter, both of the phone numbers that they provided me with were not working. Now I'm ticked. I've never had to contact parents when a child is in my care, but I NEVER want to find myself in a spot where a child is sick or injured and I can't reach Mom or Dad. I mean really, people - do I need to "check" the phone numbers that you provide me with when you sign the contract - just to make sure that they actually ring and are in service ? Frosting the proverbial cupcake was the fact that the Dad (who drops the girl off every A.M.) wasn't even aware of this problem. When I was unable to contact the parents by phone I sent an e-mail explaining the situation, requesting that they check their bank records to sort matters out. (and to please bring last week's dues in cash this A.M. when they dropped off dcg) It's Mom's e-mail account and I suspected that it was just a "junk" account since it's a yahoo address. Again - people - when I ask for your e-mail information, please provide me with an account that you check regularly so that if I need to contact you, I can ! I am so frustrated ! I realize that since they paid a deposit of two weeks dues when they started up, I am not out of pocket; and fortunately I had enough "slush funds" in my account that when the bank adjusted my balance to reflect the fact that the cheque had been declined that my car payment, mortgage etc. still went through without bouncing. So I'm thankful for those small mercies. I don't want to term over this as I had a horrible time finding a family to fill this space, and I do understand that mistakes happen - especially if money is tight. Mostly I just hate the fact that now I'm going to worry about every cheque these people ever provide me with from here on out. Thanks for letting me get this off my mind - I feel about forty pounds lighter !

Ouch. That really sucks. It's not just about the money...it's trust and respect. If I was the parent I would be red-faced and back with the money within the hour. We work hard for these people in so many ways to keep their child safe, happy and learning! Are you thinking about making it cash only for these folks going forward?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

how frustrating to have cheques bounce. I had that happen once I made the parents pay me the NSF amount due as well as cash only from there forward.

Not having contact information is something else, how about if there was an emergency?

I know what it's like to not want to terminate for lack of clients waiting in the wing, I've put up with my share just to keep my income. It's a shame that we don't get the respect that we deserve, most people think that we are just babysitters and are only doing this because we are uneducated and can't find jobs. I love what I'm doing when I have great families when not I find myself wondering why I put myself through this.

Seriously ask for cash from now on, you know the saying "once burnt"

Good luck and hang tough.

Stacey

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stacey55 For This Useful Post:

The bounced cheque is frustrating enough specially since if your bank has already informed you it means that THEY have known about it already because it shows up bounded in their own account FIRST before the other banks get the info passed to them!

However I agree that the lack of proper contact information on hand to contact them about it would be a big deal for me too ... that would result in an additional 'written warning' so to speak that not only that issues with payment are grounds for termination of the contract but that emergency contract information must always be kept up to date and that failure to do so in the future will result in termination of the contract as well!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

The bounced check could be a sign of "money is tight" on their end (which is a red flag for you) however, it could be as basic as, not balancing proper and making a mistake in the check register, which I am sure we have all done a time or two in our lives as well. I would definately not overlook the issue, but don't dig too far at this point. I would just inform the parent at drop off ,and ask if another form of payment would be better for them...direct deposit, or cash. IF it happens again or they get in a habit of paying late, then inform them they are required to pay cash only during the first of the week, and terminate IF things don't go smoothly after that! I would be a touch concerned regarding the phones not working...for mulitple reasons, one of which is obviously the concern if there were an emergency, but also...if the phones are not working is it because they are not paying that bill also? perhaps paying all the bills is becoming an issue, I'd like to say that's none of your business but...it is! if they can't pay the bills, it can directly affect you at some point.
    as far as phones go....don't you have landline #'s, work #'s, and cell #'s, or any other emergency contact #'s. I always make sure in my forms I have many dif numbers for each family, ensuring I will be able to find them, not matter where they are in an emergency.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    I wouldn't accept cheques anymore from this family. That's my policy. Once a cheque bounces, no more cheques. Mondy order... cash... EMT at the beginning of the week. but that's it! No more chequest.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I never accept cheques for this reason .... I only accept cash or EMT on Fridays for the following two weeks. I'm afraid this family would be on their way out the door n my business. I would make them pay in cash or EMT from now on plus they would have to pay the bank fees that I was charged as well as a $50 late payment charge. As for the contact numbers well that's just a no brainer .... I don't get some parents

Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    The bounced check could be a sign of "money is tight" on their end (which is a red flag for you) however, it could be as basic as, not balancing proper and making a mistake in the check register, which I am sure we have all done a time or two in our lives as well. I would definately not overlook the issue, but don't dig too far at this point. I would just inform the parent at drop off ,and ask if another form of payment would be better for them...direct deposit, or cash. IF it happens again or they get in a habit of paying late, then inform them they are required to pay cash only during the first of the week, and terminate IF things don't go smoothly after that! I would be a touch concerned regarding the phones not working...for mulitple reasons, one of which is obviously the concern if there were an emergency, but also...if the phones are not working is it because they are not paying that bill also? perhaps paying all the bills is becoming an issue, I'd like to say that's none of your business but...it is! if they can't pay the bills, it can directly affect you at some point.
    as far as phones go....don't you have landline #'s, work #'s, and cell #'s, or any other emergency contact #'s. I always make sure in my forms I have many dif numbers for each family, ensuring I will be able to find them, not matter where they are in an emergency.
    @Kidlove - I tried all of their numbers - the home phone number that they provided went straight to a Bell, pre-recorded message (the number you have dialed is not in service, please check the number and dial again) the first cell phone number (Dad's) was a wrong number (person who answered was not Dad) and the second cell phone number (Mom's) also went to a pre-recorded message saying that this number did not exist. Dad doesn't have a work number (he works from home - hence why he provided me with the home number and what I thought was his cell phone number) and when I tried the number that Mom had given as a work # it was an answering machine at a dental clinic - could be that she works there as a nurse, but I admit, I'm skeptical given the silliness with the other phone numbers. It just doesn't look good when your cheque bounces and all the contact info you've provided me with fails.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Monday 2 Friday Mama For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all of your support and thoughts ladies - I really appreciate it. I'm hoping that when Dad shows up tonight to pick up his daughter he has last week's dues in hand (I told him this A.M. that was what was expected) and I will definitely be moving to a cash only agreement if any more cheques bounce. As I said, I totally understand human error - I've made miscalculations with my banking too - **it happens. ;D The fact that all of their contact info was wrong is what has my radar going nuts. I may just have to start advertising again for my own peace of mind. Sigh....

Outgoing
    what was his response when you mentioned the phone numbers provided being out of service? sounds really odd to me. I think i would start looking just to be safe.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to gramma For This Useful Post: