Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Parents say how long child naps?

Just a quick question. I'm new to this home daycare business. So far everything is going pretty well. This morning a mom asked that I not let her daughter nap more than an hour as she has been having problems going to sleep at night. My rule is usually I don't wake up sleeping babies (she is 10 months). Is this something that is ok for a parent to ask or is it my rules that go? Just wondering what you all would do. Thanks!

I state in my manual - that the parents must sign, that all children must stay in their playpen/cot from 1-3:30 p.m. Whether they nap or just lie quietly, I'm happy. It also states, and I am sure to tell the parents during the interview that this time is MY BREAK. We work long hours with brats (sometimes), and we NEED our break to keep our sanity.

If a parent doesn't like it, they can find other care. But a 10 month old needs their naps - usually having 2/day! They must not have a routine for their child at night time. Stupid parents.

Definitely YOUR Rules - this is YOUR BUSINESS...

I don't have anything in my contract about naptime but I agree with you. I've just started with these parents so I'm not sure how to go about this. She did say if the child is really cranky to put her back down. Maybe I'll try it for a week knowing that it won't go well, and then after that week I'll tell her it did not go well and so I'm am letting her nap as long as she likes and also let her know that I am going to be revising the contract. I have put in the contract that revisions may be made. Hope that goes over well!

The parents don't get to dictate naptime here - I DO! I have to manage an entire group of children and therefore I will decide when and how long they nap.

Besides, getting children to bed at night is NOT about their level of tiredness - it is about PARENTING.

Totally agree!

My advice, tell parents NO WAY!

I have 3 kids, they all slept! During the day AND at night! I had a daycare, all the kids slept, and also at night! My best friend also has a daycare, kids sleep day and night there also!

I had a parent telling me this once, so I lied (don't tell anybody!!!) and told the parent that I cut sleep time. Magically, the kid was back to sleeping at night! So I stopped telling the parent what time their kid slept and for how long. Too much info for them!

Sarah

Sarah, I think I might have to go your way and just tell them nap time has been cut short...LOL. I just don't see how cutting it short would work. This baby sleeps hard and long, clearly she NEEDS it. She has done this the whole time she's been with me (1 month) and only the last 2 nights had trouble sleeping.

Expansive...
    Yikes....one hour? That does not seem healthy. At that age they should be having a morning nap and an afternoon nap.The afternoon nap is recommended anywhere between 12 pm - 3 pm. No afternoon nap should interfere with night time sleep if the child does not sleep beyond 3 pm and if the parents have their child on a sleep regiment at home where their child goes to sleep between 6:30-8 pm depending on age and tiredness level.

Sleep is actually very important for children and helps them rest and their bodies to grow and their brains to process everything.

I should mention that she asked for the afternoon nap to be no more than an hour. She didn't mention the morning one. I get very different info from both parents. The mom told me that the child didn't go to bed till 9:30pm last night because she napped so long in the afternoon but the father once told me she usually goes to bed around 9:30 - 10:00 so who knows...maybe they just had a bad night.

Listen, the kid has been with you one month, the kid is now 10 months, she is just too young to be in daycare but regardless of my own judgement, she's probably now reacting at home, wanting more of mom and dad's attention.

Mom or dad just have to lay down in their bed with this baby and sleep early!

It is surely not the fault of the am or pm nap, that's for sure!

Sarah

Expansive...
    wow a 9:30 pm or 10 pm bedtime for a child this age is a big no no. 8 pm is definitely the absolute cut off.
    I started to sleep train my children and put them on a regular schedule at 8 months and it literally was like clock work