Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I no longer want past daycare provider to use my children's photos...

When I signed my children up with our past child care provider I signed a contract and gave permission for her to use photos of my children for personal/promotional use etc. Now that they are no longer attending this day care, I wish to revoke that permission - there are currently pictures on her website/ads of my little ones and I in no way want to be affiliated with her day care/have my children's pictures included.

My question - is writing a simple e-mail requesting she take them down and letting her know that effective immediately she no longer has my permission to use any pictures of my children sufficient to make this part of our contract void?

Thanks in advance for your comments/advice.

You could try a email. If she sends a email back stating that she will remove the photos, keep a copy. Just in case in the future she puts them back up.

If that doesn't work send a registered letter. That way you know she got it.

If that still doesn't work ( I would be surprised) then a letter form your lawyer. But more then likely the email will be enough.

My contract states that at anytime a parent no longer wants my to use there children's photos, they just have to put it in writing and I will stop.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

I would try the email approach first, and just politely request that since the children are no longer a part of the group that you no longer wish to have the children's images used for advertizing, give her a reasonable amount of time to reply and comply ... my guess is she would hopefully do the right thing and respect your wishes she likely just did not realize you would mind ... I still use images from children who are no longer with my group so that my website shows the 'history' of the daycare so to speak but if a client asked for theirs to be removed I would totally respect that!

If for some reason she does not than I would go a more formal route and find out what your rights are having 'signed the consent' in the first place can you change it ~ cause personally I have no clue how that works cause I just personally would never want to 'force' a client to continue to have their image associated with my program so never looked into it!

I personally have right on my consent form for photos/digital images that clients sign so that they know to avoid any issues ... "Parents reserve the right to withdraw consent, in writing, at anytime in the future. Where possible, every effort will be made to withdraw or digitally alter any child’s image already in use in as quick a manner as possible."

There are some ways that I use images that once consented to I would not be able to 'get the image back' ... aka I have done professional development workshops or written professional journal articles for my professional association where images of the program and therefore 'children' were used to help others understand how emergent curriculum looks in a home childcare setting and so forth ... a client who consents to something like that has to respect and understand that once handouts are made and distributed they are 'out there' so to speak I cannot retract the publication ... but personal advertizing and website use for sure easy peasy
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

LOL Bluerose you posted while I was replying ~ I could have just done the 'ditto'
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Thanks for your advice - I will try the e-mail and hopefully that will work out just fine. I am not sure what the contract says re: withdrawing consent as I have never been provided with a copy of the contract despite numerous requests.

Quote Originally Posted by adviceplease View Post
    Thanks for your advice - I will try the e-mail and hopefully that will work out just fine. I am not sure what the contract says re: withdrawing consent as I have never been provided with a copy of the contract despite numerous requests.
    .... not cool!
    Loris Malaguzzi

Just one of many reasons that I terminated my children's care ... it was my first time using a home day care and I learned A LOT. Also the old sayings are quite true "Trust your gut feeling" and "hind sight's 20/20"

I have since found a WONDERFUL child care provider and all is great!!

I am not sure what the contract says re: withdrawing consent as I have never been provided with a copy of the contract despite numerous requests.
    This would make me nervous.

Maybe she lost it. that would be good for you, she cant prove you gave permission to us the photos in the first please.

Mine says that the consent is irrevokable (sp) once signed....however if a parent emailed and asked me I would ask if I could blur out the face, and if no...I would just comply and take them down.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dodge__driver11 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by adviceplease View Post
    Just one of many reasons that I terminated my children's care ... it was my first time using a home day care and I learned A LOT. Also the old sayings are quite true "Trust your gut feeling" and "hind sight's 20/20"

I have since found a WONDERFUL child care provider and all is great!!
    This makes me happy, I'm very glad you removed your child from a bad situation and found a great caregiver.

My picture permission form gives me the right to use the photos and states that they are my possessions even after families leave my care but I promise that I will use the pictures on my website and no other place ever. If an ex-client asked me politely to remove their children's pictures from my website, no matter the reason, I'm sure I would do so. Lord knows I have enough other pictures to use! I hope you and the ex-caregiver can come to an agreement without too much trouble. LUCK!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post: