Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Feel so stupid/ not daycare rant!

My DD's friend just called our house at 8:48 am and woke up my household, she was calling to see if my DD wanted to play? I let my DD call back, her Mom answered saying her DD was outside, my DD said she just called me?end of conversation.

Then 2 minutes later her friend knocked on the door inviting my DD outside. I said she will be along soon as she needs to finish her cereal. Within 15 minutes my DD was outside and on her way. I told her that her friend may have gone back in due to it being cold outside and if so then to come straight home as its too early to play inside. I told her they can have an inside playdate after lunch.

My DD calls me from her friends house 5 minutes later saying they are only going to be inside for 1/2 an hour then back outside, I asked to talk to her friends Mom.

I told her that this time is very early for my family and she can send her home, unless she 100% ok with her being there. She said they have been up since 7am and she has already cleaned done laundry and put it all away. I said "really" she said yes, I even been to Rona already to talk with my cabinet maker. I said really wow well if your ok then thanks.

When I hung up it all sank in. I feel so stupid and insulted, why let your 5 year old call so early then.
    Last edited by Skysue; 02-10-2013 at 10:41 AM.

I had to read that a couple of times...to clarify, other Mom has agreed to let your daughter to go inside her house for a play date. You're upset because she let her daughter call @ 8:58am...too early on a Sunday morning for your family.
    I totally get that as weekend mornings are sacred in our house...very casual....breakfast tends to be grazing, no rush to get dressed...but...
    just have to say that a 8:58am call in my house WOULD perfectly fine...it's like noon in real time as my kids (and consequently us) are all early risers @ 6am! And, I would consider anytime after 9am a fine time to have my children phone a friend to set up playtime.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Expansive...
    Sorry it was too hard to understand, I was texting and this darm blackberry keeps changing my words.

I felt insulted, Rona doesn't open till 10am and I truly think she was being rude.

Would you have kids play at your home at 9 am on a Sunday?

Starting to feel at home...
    There's absolutely no need for you to feel stupid when other people are being inconsiderate - and that's exactly how these people are behaving - in an inconsiderate fashion. I HATE people who behave as though they are "superior" just because they are early risers. It just steams my waffles ! Everyone has their own sleep/wake cycles. In my pre-daycare days I was a late riser (9-9:30 A.M.) but I would routinely do my laundry and mop my floors at 11 P.M. - it was just easier to do that sort of stuff when my own little ones weren't under foot or needing care and feeding. I was raised with the understanding that unless it is an emergency (i.e. someone has passed away) you never call someone's home before 9 A.M. I remember my Mom explaining that adults needed a chance to sleep in, and that there were plenty of hours in the day for me to play with mt friends - there was no need to tear everyone out of bed before they were ready. I'm so sorry that your opportunity to sleep in was spoiled. I actually turn the ringer off on my phone when we're sleeping. I figure, 5 out of 7 days a week I'm up and at 'em dancing to five different families tunes with a smile on my face - the weekends are my time and I get to decide how it will be spent. If I want to sleep until noon and eat brownies for breakfast - so be it !

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monday 2 Friday Mama For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skysue View Post

I felt insulted, Rona doesn't open till 10am and I truly think she was being rude.

Would you have kids play at your home at 9 am on a Sunday?
    Yes, I would...but only because my youngest naps in the afternoon. But that's my house & you have every right to feel insulted by her comments back to you (about how supposedly productive her morning was before 9am).
    Keep in mind that instead of running the roads, getting chores done in a rush on a weekend morning...you were spending quality time relaxing and bonding with your children.....500% more important than any errand I can think to run.
    I get so frustrated at myself that I can never think of a quick enough come back when people are rude...must work on that.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Yes, they are the "we're up, so everyone must be too" I have a neighbor that brags she is showered and ready to go at 7am everyday, even on the weekend...........sh e is so proud of this..............I think she is an idiot. Her children are teens, so there are no little ones waking her up. She tries to make the rest of us feel lazy when we say we got up at nine am,"oh I could never do THAT" like I've said we all pee in the yard or something LOL
    The R and R are good for us and are usually the precursor to a busy working week. So don't feel bad you are not on her schedule - your family has their own weekend routine. Our house rule is also no calls, unless emergency until after 10 am. By then we are up, maybe, but still want to keep the world outside for a while longer so I can sip my tea.
    Last edited by mimi; 02-10-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Outgoing
    Every household has their own schedule, and it's not up to anyone outside of that household to decide if it's appropriate or not. Personally, I would have been fine with an earlier phone call/play date, but we're early risers. We have friends who are not, so we exercise a little courtesy and call them later.

Euphoric !
    There are morning people and there are late night people. Everyone should be considerate enough not to bother people at either of those times because you never know. I'm glad you vented to us because as you can see, we agree with you!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    There are morning people and there are late night people. Everyone should be considerate enough not to bother people at either of those times because you never know. I'm glad you vented to us because as you can see, we agree with you!
    My entire family (3yr old included) are all night time people and NOT morning people.....DH had to go wake up DD a 10:30 yesterday so we can get ready to go out. I was up ONLY because I was buying something from someone 30min away and knew the rest of the day was busy. Otherwise I'd be snoring away with her.....

Calling anytime beofre 10am in our house is a "sin"....I don't care if you're up at 5am, good for you! Leave ME alone though! lol
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamma_Mia For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I can relate...my mom is going through a phase where she has started getting up in the morning incredibly early....4:30 am. That's right. 4:30 am. And she will call me on a Saturday morning at ,7 am and say " oh, we're you still sleeping?" in the most condescending way...I love my mother dearly but she drives me crazy sometimes!