Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

How would you respond?

Hello,

I have had a few friends and neighbors interested in having me provide childcare services but I am feeling unsure. I often see on the site that providing care for friends, relatives, and neighbours seems to be a big no-no and I agree. But recently I was approached by a neigbour and I told her I would get back to her. Now I am not full and she knows that but I can't help but feel if anything goes wrong friction might ensue and thus we become unhappy neigbours. How would you phrase to decline her without seeming mean in her view. Thank you.

Euphoric !
    I would just let her know that you have a personal policy not to mix business and pleasure/friendship/homelife, and prefer to have clients that are "arms length". I would hope that she would understand.
    Assure her that it's not her, or her child (even if it is, LoL). And maybe offer to help her find another great dayhome?
    I think honesty is the best policy here, though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think mom-in-alberta is right. If you make up a lie to get out of it, it could come back to bite you and your neighbour may end up taking it personally. Try to frame it in a good way...she is one of the "in-crowd" included with friends and family...all of whom you cannot provide care for. Many professionals will not provide service to friends and family. Hopefully she understands!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Of course, tell her the truth! mom-in-alberta and sunnydays had some great suggestions. I would also second the idea to research some good home daycares and give her the names and numbers of these providers.

No need to feel awkward at all

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    It's just like doctors not treating their own family members, that's what I would tell her. Of course, I started doing daycare because I had already been looking after my own granddaughter for three years... which has been the best thing in my life!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to treeholm For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I provide care for 3 neighbor's and it's all good! One next door and the other two seriously across the road.

It can be challenging but we have all remained very professional and no I do not mix business with pleasure. We are friendly but not friends!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar
    I'm just curious....why is everyone so opposed to caring for your friend's kids? I understand the no mixing business with pleasure saying, I'm more looking at any experiences that you have had. Thanks.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FSD For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    When I was looking for a dayhome for my daughter several years ago, I found a wonderful provider that lives just a couple houses down from us! She had my daughter there for 3 years - until my daughter started school - and we are now great friends & running buddies! As a provider I can see the risk in taking clients that live so close, but it worked out really well for us!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GymMom For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I say tell her the truth as well.
    I watched siblings that lived across the street. Very nice family, i liked them alot and we got along great. The problems started in the spring when I would have the kids out front riding cars and bikes on the sidewalk. Mom or dad came home from work early quite often and the kids were old enough at the time to know that they were home because cars were in the driveway. we would even see dad out mowing the lawn and he never even acknowledged the kids. That left me with 2 whining kids because they wanted to be home with mom or dad. The other problem came when I took a sick day. I went to the doctor and when I came home I was sitting outside on my front porch with a cup of tea. Mom came over and ripped a strip of me for causing her to miss a days work (she was an hourly employee so didnt get paid) and that I had the nerve to sit outside on my porch with a tea. I barely had the chance to tell her i had Strep Throat. They also used to allow the kids to come over tomy place on the weekend to say hi and I couldnt get them to go home without feeling bad.

As for doing it for a friend, its just not worth it to me to risk a treasured friendship. Having said that I've watched a friends daughter on occasion if she was stuck but that was just for a day here or there and I did it as a favour, not for payment.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to gramma For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think if you're up front about your policies and the expectation that business is business and the friendship is outside of that, you should be fine. If she's willing to sign the contract with the understanding that the rules are the rules, then it shouldn't be an issue. I currently provide care, full time, for my sister's boy. I've not had one problem and she's very respectful of my policies. She also understands that this is my bread and butter and signed the contract along with all the other clients. And honestly, all my clients end up being friends anyway. We continue to see each other when their children leave my daycare and I even have traveled with some of them.

If you're clear from the beginning, it should be okay. Of course, perhaps my sister is the exception....I don't know.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post: