Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Just figuring things out, a little vent

Hey,

I am new on the scene and I am just getting a little discouraged. A lot of inquiries for 6 mos from now but fewer interested people for immediate care.

I keep debating lowering my fees or taking someone I don't want just to get the bodies in here. I know the wise women on here would tell me to be patient and I am trying. Your voices have all been in my ear when I am talking to families on the phone, through email or in interviews. I think I have been very particular and have screened wisely on the phone before they have come in for the in-person interview (so far only 2 serious biters that I invited in for an interview). My first interview felt it was too expensive (although I had told the husband how much it was and he said it was more than they were paying now but was doable. The wife was unaware of the cost and I gathered she holds the purse strings). My second came today and I really love this family but their care needs require some flexibility which I am open to as they will become full time in April. I have another interested 3 yo I am calling for a phone interview tonight.

I guess I just need encouragement...or wisdom, I don't know.

Euphoric !
    I am also curious if I am being too picky?? Can you be too picky? I turned away a 6 mos old as I don't want one that young. Heck I don't even like my kids all that much when they are that little, heh heh.

Euphoric !
    You are probably not being too picky. If you are not comfortbale with a certain family for whatever reason, age, timing, schedule, etc, then they are not right for you. However, that said, it will be a bit harder in the beginning as a new provider...so you may want to consider what are your "must haves" and what you can be a bit flexible on to begin with. Just make sure that if you are flexible on something now, it is something you will be able to live with for the next couple of years. If you lower your rates, you may regret it and not be able to raise them enough to feel it worth your while. Of course, you might not want to start at the top of rates in your area as a brand new provider either...just don't lower them to the point that you don't feel your work is being valued. Good luck!

I really do think our world is becoming too expensive, the cost of living is up and the trickle down effect is hitting people like us pretty hard. If parents aren't trying to nickle and dime, looking for the cheapest care they can find, they are trying to get through with out paying for care at all...alternating days off so they can do it without care needed, asking family members to help or going for the nice next door neighbor who stays home with her own. Due to the cost of living and so many's desire for brand new vehicles and designer clothes, quality child care is definitely taking the back seat! Hate to sound cliche but, hold on and the families will come, and don't take the first ones because you are desperate, that's a huge mistake..been there done that!

Euphoric !
    The first year is the hardest and I wouldn't lower my rates unless I was the most expensive in the area..... If you are compatabile then stick where you are. And I agree when starting you should decide what's a deal breaker. Also generally your going to find people looking for care in advance cause they are on mat leave. I would prefer that then getting a child that has perhaps been terminated from care. It is always nice to land the first one though. Good luck .... Some advise .....Make sure you get a deposit that is applied to the last two weeks of already commenced care, get paid on Fridays for the following two weeks if care, and don't accept cheques ... Cash or EMT only!

apples and bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    Hey,

I am new on the scene and I am just getting a little discouraged. A lot of inquiries for 6 mos from now but fewer interested people for immediate care.

I keep debating lowering my fees or taking someone I don't want just to get the bodies in here. I know the wise women on here would tell me to be patient and I am trying. Your voices have all been in my ear when I am talking to families on the phone, through email or in interviews. I think I have been very particular and have screened wisely on the phone before they have come in for the in-person interview (so far only 2 serious biters that I invited in for an interview). My first interview felt it was too expensive (although I had told the husband how much it was and he said it was more than they were paying now but was doable. The wife was unaware of the cost and I gathered she holds the purse strings). My second came today and I really love this family but their care needs require some flexibility which I am open to as they will become full time in April. I have another interested 3 yo I am calling for a phone interview tonight.

I guess I just need encouragement...or wisdom, I don't know.
    Whatever you do, don't lower your rates. If you lower your rates then you will not get the clients you want. We want clients that want to invest in good daycare. They parents that have decent jobs, pay on time and understand getting paid for stats, holidays, etc. The kind of parents that get yearly increases so they understand when we get increases. Those type of parents don't look for the bottom dollar. They look for good quality daycares.

As long as your pricing is within the area you live in. This is a hard time to find clients. I check the availability in my area every so often and there are more open spaces then I've ever seen right now! Thank goodness I"m full and in a good position.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Well, I have to admit that I started out with lower rates to get clients and once I had a group of families who were very happy with my care I raised my rates. Then I had that first group of 5 families who served as great references and recommended me to others. My contract still renews annually so that if I learn a lesson I can add a policy for the next year. After raising my rates in my second year in business, then in the 3rd year I added 3 paid personal days and Christmas Eve Day and Easter Monday instead of raising rates so I still kind of got a raise. Then I just raised rates again in my 5th year. I'm being fair to my clients and to myself but it was completely worth it to me to undercharge when I started out because it worked out great for me. I'm sure the same wouldn't be said for everyone. You still have to be very careful about the families you sign on.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    It's weird. After posting this I got an inquiry for two kids (one full time and one b&a) and they are coming tomorrow to tour and possibly start on Friday. Did the phone interview tonight and everything sounds great. Thanks for the good vibes!

Euphoric !
    Yay! I hope you sign them on Sometimes it is the positive thinking that brings them in

Euphoric !
    Don't forget to ask why they need care so urgently. Are they in another daycare now? Why are they leaving? I have had it work out fine with urgent situations, but sometimes it doesn't, so just be careful.