Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    You are doing a good job of feeding the kids well and healthy, don't lower your standards for one picky child....just keep serving her what the others are eating and don't get upset. She will def not die if she doesn't eat lunch every day, and the stress you feel is def the hardest part, just let go and let her be hungry if she won't eat the healthy food you offer. I have asked parents if they would like to provide the meals for kid with "picky" attitudes at the table, but to be quite honest, sometimes that just causes more grief on your part. I would continue to offer her the same foods as the rest and if she goes without lunch, snack time is right around the corner.....the only thing I would do is give her very little to start, that way when she doesn;t eat the food, you won't be as upset having to throw it away!

Outgoing
    I have a very determined 2 y/o picky eater as well. I used to allow it to frustrate me to no end and i did exactly what the others are saying and that is give very small portion, lots of praise when she does eat but I dont reward her for eating other than giving praise.

some days she eats some day not. I also serve alot of leftovers as well as home made stuff. very rare that i used processed or boxed food. If she doesnt eat at lunch, i warm it for her snack. If she eats it then, she gets her snack as well.

Euphoric !
    Definitely don't give in! I am with the others. I serve what I serve and if they don't eat, that's their problem. I have a 16 month old who never eats lunch...he just sits and looks at it...unless it's bread or cheese or a couple of other things. He does the same at home. I just serve him one tiny spoonful of each thing and hope that one day he will eat. You cannot force a child to eat and I absolutely refuse to serve junk food. I also have a 3 year old who is picky, but she has become much better over the 4 months she's been with me. She's really funny because she will try something and say "It's good!" and then I will ask her if she's going to eat it and she just smiles and says "no" At least she's polite

Outgoing
    I also started to include my picker eater in preping meals...even if it is just a taste as I am making it. They all want to see and taste and explore. If you can get her to just taste a few times she will realise it is yummy. One of my picky eater did not even try the food and went down from lunch whitout even a bite. It was so frustrating, but now he still does not eat much but he does TRY and will eat now things that he refused before. That's almost after 6 months of determination on my part ;0) But like the others I do not offer alternatives.

Starting to feel at home...
    Love these responses! Thanks so much everyone! I will post my homemade spaghetti-o's recipe tonight in a new thread, for the lady that asked and anyone else interested!

Euphoric !
    Here's an example for you. I had a little girl here for 3 1/2 years and her Mom fed her things like canned spaghetti but I cook from scratch only with very few prepackaged foods. Lots of fresh veggies and fruit, protein like chicken breasts, pork tenderloin, roast beef, great quality food. My little dcgirl told her Mom after a few years here that she wanted her to learn to cook like me. the moral of the story is that you should keep doing what you are doing and putting the children on the right road in life to recognize fresh, home cooked food as opposed to prepackaged crap!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I have been there too. The parent told me her daughter was not a picky eater, however she doesn't seem to like anything I make. I will not make separate meals for kids, so since she is part time it isn't as hard for me. I know now what she likes, so I tend to make more of those things for lunch when she come. As for snacks, my snacks consist of a few items, so there is always something she likes on her snack plate.

So don't give in. I found some of the things she thought she didn't like, liked once she tried it.
    Last edited by kudos; 02-15-2013 at 06:36 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kudos For This Useful Post: