Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

My DD has gastrointestinal flu.

I had to close my doors this morning due to DD comming down with the flu at 5:30am.

All my parents were very understanding but one said she is ok for today but 150% will need care tomorrow.

How long does this flu usually last? My other fear us re opening tomorrow and having 5 other little ones falling ill. I hope no one else gets it.

Outgoing
    My kids have had it several times over last winter/spring and this current winter. It has lasted as little as 8 hours to as long as several days. Last May both my kids ended up in the hospital because of it. My daughter was on IV for 3 days she was so dehydrated since she couldn't keep anything down. Sorry, don't mean to scare you, it's just that you really can't tell until you are "in it". I would say the norm is usually 12- 24 hours.

Good luck. I hope your daughter feels better soon.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bookworm For This Useful Post:

Even if it only lasts 8 hours, I am assuming you have a sickness policy stating 24-48 hours symptom free before returning to care?? Your daughter will undoubtably need extra time to rest up after and will likely still be contagious tomorrow. I would tell this parent right now to make alternative arrangements for tomorrow in the best interest of their own child. This is what I would do. I don't care how much she needs daycare tomorrow. Isn't their childs health more important even if it royally screws up her plans. Some people....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Skysue...take care of your own child. Tell DCM that she needs to find back up care, no ifs or buts!
    It's not fair to dcc to be exposed to your daughters illness or for your daughter not to have 100% of your attention when she's feeling so bad. Gastro flu is nothing to fool around with. It leaves you feeling like you are at death's door.

It may take 24 hours it may take 48hrs, but I guarantee she will still be contagious tomorrow. And you will also need the extra day tomorrow to sanitize and bleach toys, etc. Otherwise it will go round and round your daycare and into your family as well. It went thru my daycare and home over the holidays. I was hospitalized for 24 hours with IV due to dehydration !

If DCM does not understand or gives you a hard time...then I would say "too bad"! I hope your contract states that parents NEED back up care for this very reason!

Good luck Skysue..hope your little one is feeling better very very soon

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Baby girl is finally asleep and hasn't thrown up for an hour! Poor thing is wearing a pull up at 5, that didn't go over well but after 2 showers + tons of laundry I couldn't risk it on my white couches! Which are covered with 2 layers of towels and blankets. Now back to my huge pile of laundry!

I require 48 hours after the sick are well for all daycare kids and family, and I do the same for my household. I don't mess around with the flu or any other contagious illness, though beans if they want to bring their kids before the time is up.....I stick to my policy on sick and on that...I have never waivered!

Outgoing
    if she brings her dd tomorrow and she ends up with it, mom is going to have to take even more time off work to care for her. doesnt make sense. Chances are that most of them will get it anyhow if its the same thing that ripped through my house. good luck andhope your dd is feeling better soon. be sure to take good care of yourself as well while you look after her.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gramma For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    The thing is, if she brings her child tomorrow and she catches it, then she may end up comign back to daycare before she is 100% better and then it will spread to the other kids as well. I think with this kind of illness we have to do what we can to stop the spread. Stay firm...she will find a way to solve her problem. I had one start with diahrea yesterday afternoon...praying nobody else catches it! I told his mom he definitely could not come back today as he had two bouts of it within 10 minutes right before pick-up time. After they left I disinfected everything I could!

Starting to feel at home...
    As the other ladies indicated the flu typically lasts anywhere from a few hours to 24 hours. However it takes 1-2 days to recover. Unfortunately the child could continue to be contagious for up to 10 days after. I recommend to thoroughly wash all glasses, plates and ustensils she will use over the next little bit and wash, wash, wash her hands.

My husband, who has a phobia of vomitting, recently sent me an article indicating that a new study shows that even hand sanitizer does not protect us from the flu (although hand sanitizer is not used in daycare environment it just comes to show how strong the bug is). When cleaning the home they recommend using bleach, I don't think anything else would decontaminate properly.

Last year my daughter got the flu, and being only 1 at the time and still mouthing everything, almost everyone got it. The terrible thing is, everytime I thought it was over someone else got it.... all 10 days apart.

I hope your daughter gets well soon and that everyone else will manage to avoid it, it is such a terrible thing!

Not to mention, if your tummy flu is anything like the one we have passed around here? the next person may not show symptoms for another week. About a month and a half ago, my daughter got sick first a week later me, all the same symptoms so I know it was the same virus. Strange at how long it seems to float around inside before showing itself. I try to stick with 48 hours, thats enough time for the sick to feel better and you would think IF anyone was to come down with it it would be within that time frame....not so much this year, seems to be a longer incubation period! yuck! can't wait for spring!!!!