Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Filing taxes yourself vs an accoutant

Ahh this wonderful time of year again...Taxes. I am a procrastinator ladies. Not my finest quality lol and honestly it gets me in so much trouble in so many areas of life that I am trying very hard to not do this anymore but baby steps right??

So here is my issue. I haven't filed my taxes for 2010 or 2011 and now obviously its time to do 2012 also. I got a letter yesterday with a 30 day demand to file my 2011 taxes. I called and CRA said it is a random computer generated letter but there is no chance of an extension so it has to be done. Even if I file 2011 and not 2010 just to meet their deadline and then when I file the rest they will make the adjustments on the tax bill owing. So heres my dilemma.

I emailed my accountant yesterday and he got back to me saying the firm is closing down in April of this year so they would not be able to file my tax returns for me. ARGHHHH If the idea of filing myself isn't bad enough, think about having 3 years to file and only 3 weeks left to do it is terrifying. What a problem I have created for myself.

I am struggling with making the choice of finding another accountant or filing myself. I could get another accountant who doesn't specialize in this field and lose out on lots of right offs etc But the prospect of doing it myself is very overwhelming.

I have seen info floating around previously on here but just can't seem to locate it. Isn't there a pretty in depth guide for home daycare providers on filing taxes?? Any info or advice people could give me would be greatly appreciated. I know what I will be doing for naptimes and evevings for the next couple of weeks .....

I am the same way. I have my receipts sitting in a box in the dining room half done which is amazing since I make any excuse not to do them.
    Find an accountant who has done daycare returns. They are pretty simple for them to do actually. Do the tallying yourself of your expenses. There is a government website which has info for daycare providers. An accountant will charge perhaps $150.00 for your return and you have piece of mind that it is done correctly.
    Think of the monies you will have coming to you since you haven't filed your return in a couple years like child tax credit, GST rebates etc. as incentive to get those dreaded receipts done.

Unfortunatly I don't qualify for anything so no rebates for me. The incentive should really be just to declutter lolol I have so many boxes. My 2010 is actually all done and ready to go to an accountant and 2012 was the year that I started to keep my reciepts organized by months which makes things easier but 2011 reciepts seem to be in areas of my house that I didn't know exsited lol. If nothing else it will be a chance to have a good sort out. Just maybe not the best time when I am just about to have construction start on my new daycare room :/

The incentive then is to get the CRA off your back. They will continue to bug you for the returns. You will feel sooo much better having gotten your paperwork sorted before you start your reno otherwise, if you are like me, you won't know if you are coming or going with all this on your shoulders. Been there

Sad to say I have been there too but wouldn't you know I didn't learn my lesson. Silly me...lol

Another forum member just messaged me a contact and I just spoke to them and they reassured me they could get everything done in time. Very detailed telephone conversation which I was very impressed with. At least I won't have to file it myself now but just means I have to have everything organized and onto spreadsheets by lunchtime Saturday.....I'ma outta here :-)