Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Snow painting

Euphoric !

Snow painting

For those of you who have tried spraying food colouring and water on snow with the kids, I have a question:
    Does it stain the kids mittens, clothing, etc ? (I am sure they will want to touch it)

I really want to try it, but want to make sure I don't open up a whole new can of worms

i have noticed, if you mix it so the color is lighter it really doesnt color them much at all, like 6-8 drops in a whole bottle of water. you should be fine. IF you have kids with really nice outdoor clothes, i.e girls with light pink snow pants or kids with light colored mittens and boots, perhaps let the parents know of your plans ahead of time so they can bring alternate wear that day, just in case. Or lend the kids some junky mits so you don't have to worry. I have never had any issues, but I think most of my kiddos have had black snow pants and dark colored coats. It's fun though!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    how do you do this? With a spray bottle?

Euphoric !
    Yes, food colouring and water in spray bottles I have to get some spray bottles at the dollar store this weekend, but would love to try this activity next week...just don't want multi-coloured snowsuits afterwards

IME Dollar store spray bottles are cheap and easy option for this ... you do not need a lot of food coloring to make it work and I have never had issues with staining.

Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks so much for sharing the pictures reggio! I am no longer afraid to try this. Spray bottles are on my "must buy" list this weekend...now if I can only get out of the dollar store with less than $50 worth of other stuff I see and "must buy"...LOL I buy giant bottles of food colouring at the daycare supply store here in Ottawa, so I always have that on hand. Looks like fun!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    Thanks so much for sharing the pictures reggio!
    You're welcome ~ I am a visual learner myself and seeing a photo example of something helps me to figure out how to do it and not be so afraid of trying it myself ... one of the reasons why I Pinterest so much ~ so visual and when making a new recipe or what not knowing what it is suppose to look like
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Starting to feel at home...
    Oh! too bad snow is almost gone here because we would have done that for sure!
    I have to remember that for next winter!!!!!!!

and....... i Pintrest too!

Expansive...
    Oh fun. I wonder if this would be a good idea to do with jello or koolaid instead. That may be easier on the clothes??

Euphoric !
    Might work, but they might be more tempted to drink it or eat the snow...let me know if you try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    Oh fun. I wonder if this would be a good idea to do with jello or koolaid instead. That may be easier on the clothes??