Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ages of DC Kids

Shy

Ages of DC Kids

Hello! Newbie here. I have just started advertising my home daycare, and so far no bites. I know things are slow right now, but I am seriously questioning my decision to only take kids ages 2+. I have a full preschool level of programming planned out for the year.

Should I branch out to ages 12 months+? How do you incorporate such different age levels in to an educational program?

Thanks for any advice!

The one thing I have notices regarding care for 2 and up is...it's limited. Generally a child at the age of 2 yr with working parents has already been placed in day care. The only way you will get 2 yr old is if they are leaving another care facility (which can be a red flag) or the Mother is going to work for the first time, (which can also be a bit of a hurdle) best bet really is to start with a younger child newborn to 1 yr, and work your way with them to the preschool level. Think about it, if you start with them when they are young, they will grow with you, and you them. They will be easier to "mold" rather than having to fix bad habits, you can set solid structure from the get go! If you want to wait out for 2 and up, your search will take twice as long given the fewer in that age specific group.
    Having children of all ages definitely poses more stressors on the daily schedule and activities such as preschool and outdoor play, but if you broaden your horizons and take on children a little younger, you really could find a nice group of 6-12 month olds that will be ready for preschool in another few years, but the trade of 2-3 years worth secured income is well worth the wait!

Euphoric !
    Hi, congrats on your new business! I hope things start to pick up for you soon! I think the problem that may have an impact on the number of inquiries you get may be the age bracket. There are, of course, 2yr olds out there needing care for one reason or another, but it might be a bit slower coming for you. By the age of 2, I would think the majority are already in daycare as parents have to, typically, return to work at 12 mos. You may get some whose parents took extended maternity, had planned to stay home full time but had a change of heart, or some who have had to leave their current care situation for whatever reason. Of course, I'm no expert, but off the top of my head, I could see these being common scenarios. I totally understand your desire to have everyone in the same age bracket as it does make planning easier. I've done the same thing, but I take mine all under 2 for the same reason. Plus, I like the potential of having steady work for 3 years or so. My kids are now the following ages - 2@ 15 mos, 14 mos, 19 mos, 20 mos and another starting in 2 wks who is 9 mos. They're now, after much training, able to sit in a circle for 2 stories and 3-5 active participation songs.

In the past, I've had a mix of kids ranging in age from 3 mos to 7 yrs. Of course, from a planning stand point, it can be challenging, but totally doable. Good luck with your new endeavor!

Euphoric !
    Oops....kidlove, we must have been typing in unison!

Agreed. My philosophy has been to aim for the 12 month range to begin...they grow with you, you won't have to recruit/interview/transition for 3+ years...also they'll perhaps have siblings eventually to grow your business even more.
    You will find that you will develop curriculum for each stage and schedule your day accordingly. My babies are more than happy with their tub of toys/activities or even sitting in learning with the older ones and vise versa.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    I have 2 two year old children and 1 one year old in care and today I signed on 2 one year old children. Contracts are signed and in my possession. I love having a group all very close in age so they can grown and learn together. About 95% of my dckids start around the 1 year age mark because their Moms are returning from their mat leaves. I love it because that means there will be 3 years before I have turnaround on that space.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Shy
    Thanks ladies. After giving it some though, I've lowered my age to 12 months. It does make much more sense with maternity leave, and those kids will be 2 in 12 short months anyways!

Euphoric !
    Yes I too like them to start right after the mat leave. However two of my current kids came to me older. One i got because they relocated to my town (child was 22 months) and the other was a sibling set that the daycare closed while mom was on second mat leave so I got a 11 month old and the 3 yr old sibling. So while I agree getting an older child can be a red flag it's definately not always the case. But now that you have changed the age group that you are willing to accept you will probably have better luck

Euphoric !
    Good for you MonkeyMama! I must say, having a stretch of 3 yrs ahead of you with little to no turnover is sublime

I accept 12 month + now...Just the right age for care to start, and infant spots in my city are in high demand.