Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Do you think reputation will be effected if I term?

I REALLY don't like b&a but I keep getting told to "suck it up" (husband, mom). I think I would enjoy my day a lot more without but I guess since I am just starting I really don't know. There was a pd day today and it felt more relaxed not having to do the pickup and drop off. How do I explain this to the family without sounding inexperienced (because basically I didn't know until I tried it). There are other issues but nothing that we couldn't work on. Not sure what to do.

Euphoric !
    There is always a possibility that your reputation could be effected when terminating...but, you have to do what is best for you. If you feel you have bit off more than you can chew, then it is better to get out of it early than after some time has passed and bonds have been formed between you and the kids etc. However, you might want to warn the parents that it is more difficult than you thought it would be and then tell them you'll try it for the next two weeks to give it a chance and then let them know. If you can end things on good terms, your reputation will be better off. The other thing is, if you live in Toronto as your name suggests, there are so many people out there that getting a bad reputation would be less likely. I would think it would be much worse in a small town where everyone knows everyone.

Outgoing
    Your reputation is always on the line in this time of business. I think you are basing a lot on one difficult day.... you havent given yourself or these children any time to adjust. I agree with sunnydays that you could tell the parents how you are feeling. Just let them know its a business decision and after experiencing it, you dont feel b&a is right for your business model after all. Good Luck

Euphoric !
    By the way torontokids, it really can take some time to get the kids settled and to adjust yourself to the new routine. Since we are in February now, maybe you could stick it out until school ends in June and then tell parents you can't do it in September so they have the summer to find someone else? That would also give you time to fill your other spots and get some experience. When the weather gets nicer it will be easier to do the school runs as we won't have to deal with all the winter gear and bad weather. You could also move naptime earlier so your kids still get the length of nap they need before you leave. I have a 2 year old who started with me in September and it is only now, 5 months later, that I feel I have finally turned a corner with his behaviour...I felt like terming a few times, but the mom was respectful and works with me, so I put the effort in. I know she will refer people to me in a heartbeat Give yourself some time would be my advice.

Outgoing
    great advice sunnydays!

Euphoric !
    I know how you feel.... When first opened I took on any age and stage. So I ended up with kids from 11 mos to almost 10 years old.
    What I learned (and this is just me) is that I can do the little fellas.... and I can handle the big kids.... but not at the same time! I just found it exhausting.
    So to answer your question; I would also see if I could "stick it out" until the end of the school year, and consider a lesson learned.
    If you just cannot, then you may as well tell the parents sooner rather than later.

Starting to feel at home...
    Hi Torontokids, if it were me, I would terminate. I understand that the nature of this job is that we always have to accomodate less than perfect "fits" - especially when we're just getting started. That said, everyone has their own lines in the sand. For me, I don't do Before and After School care - for many of the reasons that you are finding yourself. It's incrediably labour intensive, there's very little pay for the amount of running back and forth that you do, you are only collecting B/A school rates for a space when that space could be occupied by a full time child, it means you have to pack up all your other children a couple of times a day (never fun in yucky winter weather or when you're dealing with nappers) - I could go on forever but I think I've made my point. While the family will undoubtably be unhappy at having to find another caregiver for their child, rest assured that if the show was on the other foot the family would do what was best for them - without stressing over how their decision would affect you. Do what is best for you. Politely tell them that you will no longer be able to provide B/A school care as it is not fitting in well with your schedule/the other children's needs. Don't stress overly about your reputation being poorly affected - one client that isn't a good fit with you isn't a reflection of how good a caregiver you are; this is just a case of not being a good fit with a particular family's needs.