Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice please!

Starting to feel at home...

Advice please!

My husband and I are in the talking phase of possibly moving this summer. We would like a bigger house. We would still be in the general area of our current home (within 10-15 minute drive). I have spots available that I'm trying to fill and have had some requests for interviews. Would you still go ahead and interview to fill spots, or would you wait until after the potential move? It's just that nothing is set in stone, and I would hate to miss out on clients. Am I a horrible person if I take on a child and then 1 or 2 months later tell them we are listing our house? I would still do daycare in the new home, and they would have the option to come to the new place. Would you warn potential families that there's a possibility of a move or just keep quiet about it?

Euphoric !
    I was in this position last year! I did not say anything and I am so glad I didn't because it ended up taking a full year before it worked out and we moved. I would have lost my clients for nothing! I moved exactly the distance you are, but all but one of my clients left.

Outgoing
    I wouldnt say anything until it is definite. No use getting people upset or start looking for alternate arrangements before you can even give them a moving date. We also may be moving in the next year but less than 5 mins away and I feel pretty confident the majority of my dcf would come with me.

Since you are only 'planning' at this stage and the plan entails only moving a short distance I would continue on with your business plan and filling spaces for sure ... I would not inform anyone until you are about to put the 'for sale' sign on the property because there is no need to 'worry about what ifs' at this point cause as other mentioned it could take a year or more to actually get a 'move date' and that is a long time to go without income.

Or if you are concerned about upsetting clients you get advertize for 'temporary' spaces around your projected/ideal move date?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

You can also request not to have a sign placed in your yard when you list, just an FYI.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks for the advice! I've decided to keep interviewing for current spots. I'll deal with telling parents when we are actually just about to list our house. We still have a lot of work to do to get our house in listing condition. Even once it's listed, you never know how long or if it will actually sell. The fact that I also plan on providing daycare in the new home too, doesn't make me feel so bad about it. I just opened my daycare in September, and have been trying to fill these spots for a long while now. I still only have 1 dck, and I don't want to stop searching because of potentially moving.

Euphoric !
    If I was going to be "closing" the daycare, I would feel bad if I kept interviewing. But since you will be staying open, and are only in the earliest of planning stages, I would wait to tell people.