Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home... dragonlady3's Avatar

Question Play dates between home daycare providers

Hi ...I am a member of the Child Care Providers Resource Network (CCPRN) Ottawa and we were told this Sept. that we are no longer allowed to have play dates in each others homes. (No more than 5 children on the premises under the age of 10 regardless of the number of adults present.) This, we are told, is part of the Day Nurseries Act of 1990. Up until this Sept., many of us had been having play dates, and believing they were fine. Some of us can remember our mothers having play dates with other mums and children in the neighborhood and can't imagine telling them that they shouldn't interact with each other in their homes (only in parks, playgrounds, libraries, etc.) The CCPRN wrote the Prov. for clarification for its 800 members and the Prov. did confirm and added that they would prosecute any child care giver having play dates in their homes. Feedback would be really appreciated...esp. from outside Ottawa.

Starting to feel at home...
    I would like to see something in writing from the Province clarifying this. I was going on the assumption that the children would have to use that home as their 'home away from home' for it to count. I'm sure it's still fine to meet other dayhomes at the park, as we do.

I'm sorry to hear this as I do want to be law-abiding but enjoy playdates with other providers.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Shy
    Apparently this is true as about a year ago some ladies in the neighbourhood were reported and when the workers came they gave them a package outlining what was and wasn't allowed and it is true that you are not to have more than 5 children (daycare) in your home (not including your own) under the age of ten regardless of how many adults. It is a $2000/day fine if you are caught.

The organization I belong to has approx. 800 members and even they didn't know that we shouldn't go to each others homes. It has not been handled well by the Prov. I think the reason things have changed might be due to the fact that the Min. of Child and Youth Services recently transferred to the Ministry of Education...and we all know how that Ministry has messed up this year. I hope we can go back a bit in time and visit each other without this new 'threat' factor looming over our heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Emilys4Guppies View Post
    I would like to see something in writing from the Province clarifying this. I was going on the assumption that the children would have to use that home as their 'home away from home' for it to count. I'm sure it's still fine to meet other dayhomes at the park, as we do.

I'm sorry to hear this as I do want to be law-abiding but enjoy playdates with other providers.
    Sorry ...I am new to this Forum and keep messing up my replies. Several of us have been asking the Prov. to provide a 'book of rules' and several months ago they said they were working on it. Hmmm....that will take a while. In the meantime, they have assured us in Ottawa, that they will prosecute offenders, many of whom don't even know they are breaking the rules. Yikes.

Shy
    That is absolutely ridiculous. If they want people to follow the "rules" then they should have a website where we can download the paperwork or where we can have an address and have it sent to us. How else do they expect us to know unless we get into trouble first?

Starting to feel at home...
    I was told that it is a very "grey" area and that the best choice for providers was to meet somewhere public... park, early years, indoor plauground, toy library etc. But not in someones home.

Shy
    so true Giraffe. Keep in mind too that they would not know who is in your home anyways unless some nosy neighbour happened to report someone. It sucks when there are really good providers out there which get reported by some neighbour because they had a dispute. That is what happened in our area. He hated kids. Didn't like the fact that 4 close neighbours were doing daycare. Some were not even over and got reported. The others were not really over but maybe overlapped by say a half hour, with after school vs full day. People need to mind their own business

Euphoric !
    This is a copy of the letter that the CCPRN received from the ministry in answer to their question about playgroups.

http://www.ccprn.com/en/information-...ry-guidelines/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thank You!