Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    I'm one of those crazy people with 4 kids of my own who also had 5 daycare kids always and managed just fine and back before some of the rules changed also had a couple over age 10 siblings in the summer including one who was legally blind but managed remarkably. Insurance covered us for that cause it was what was legal.

There is a big difference between a person with 4 kids who has experience at the different ages and stages and presumably a house large enough to handle them all and their toys and stuff looking after 5 more kids than a person who has only their own baby but wants to stay home and takes in 5 kids never having experienced the need for safety gates or what a toddler can climb on or get into. It isn't about how many children are in care it is about the ability of the caregiver to manage them all. Some do well and some do not.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    I'm one of those crazy people with 4 kids of my own who also had 5 daycare kids always and managed just fine and back before some of the rules changed also had a couple over age 10 siblings in the summer including one who was legally blind but managed remarkably. Insurance covered us for that cause it was what was legal.

There is a big difference between a person with 4 kids who has experience at the different ages and stages and presumably a house large enough to handle them all and their toys and stuff looking after 5 more kids than a person who has only their own baby but wants to stay home and takes in 5 kids never having experienced the need for safety gates or what a toddler can climb on or get into. It isn't about how many children are in care it is about the ability of the caregiver to manage them all. Some do well and some do not.
    thats me too. and acually I manage it really well. I love having all the kids. But I did get rid of the SA because they drove me crazy. But in the summer I have 4 of mine (they are now older) and 5 littles and I love it. some people can manage and others can't

Shy
    I must admit I don't agree with the rules about max of five. My friends and I had our kids close together and we met almost every week for playdates. We had 9 kids between the three of us!

Euphoric !
    I raised 4 children and they each had about 3 best friends so when I came home from the office there would often be about 20 children in my house. I couldn't keep food in the house and it was quite normal to have tons of kids around for many, many years because my oldest is 11 years older than the youngest.

However, I'm happiest with 4 children in the daycare and 5 seems like lots of work. But I live in a much smaller home now that my own children are all grown. If you have lots and lots of space that's a whole different story.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum, and a Daycare provider in Guelph. I understand the rule about not having play dates with other providers, but what about mommy groups..do they factor in or is it play dates in general?

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Taylor View Post
    Hey everyone, I am new to the forum, and a Daycare provider in Guelph. I understand the rule about not having play dates with other providers, but what about mommy groups..do they factor in or is it play dates in general?
    It has to do with total number of children in the home. You can have another mom come and bring her own children but once she brings children that are not hers those count in your ratio of 5.

Euphoric !
    The rule is you can only have 5 DAYCARE children, so if the other children in your mommy group are with their parents, they don't count in that number and it is legal. You could invite another mother over with her own kids and you would be fine and legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Taylor View Post

apples and bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    The rule is you can only have 5 DAYCARE children, so if the other children in your mommy group are with their parents, they don't count in that number and it is legal. You could invite another mother over with her own kids and you would be fine and legal.
    Sunny days, this is what I've always thought, but I've heard differences of opinions on this. Is this the case? Can anyone else confirm or does any one else interpret this the same way?

I have my step children here during the summer and am stressing over what to do with them as they technically make me "over limit" But their dad will be here, so maybe I won't be over limit?

Thank you all

Outgoing
    Phone Community Services in Ontario and see what their view is.

Here in Nova Scotia, in the event of play dates, it's permitted. As long as the two providers have separate addresses for their own businesses, and aren't actually running as one day care on a daily business, play dates are actually encouraged for the social skills that come with mixing with
    a wider group of children. However, both carers must be present during the entire play date.