Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by apples and bananas View Post
    Sunny days, this is what I've always thought, but I've heard differences of opinions on this. Is this the case? Can anyone else confirm or does any one else interpret this the same way?

I have my step children here during the summer and am stressing over what to do with them as they technically make me "over limit" But their dad will be here, so maybe I won't be over limit?
    That isn't how it works in Nova Scotia.

The NS day care regulations state "no more than 6 children including the carer's own if younger than 12 years".

Now it's slightly different depending on if registered or not.

The easiest way to explain is for an unregistered carer, it boils down to no more than 6 children per address. It doesn't matter if there is another adult in the house. The limit is 6 - period. In the instance where your step children are there over the summer, if you were in NS, and if those step children are younger than 12, then they would be included in the day care numbers.

However, if you are a registered provider, providing that your step children were being cared for by another adult in another part of the house and had no interaction with the day care, then you would likely get away with it since they aren't permanent residents in the house and could be considered visitors.

How is it nit picking. it is the LAW. as stupid as we may think it is, there is a reason why it a law. The same could be said for drinking and driving.
    The whole attitude "Well as long as you don't get caught", is the reason we are in this mess to begin with. The same can be said with this whole bill that we are fighting.

Starting to feel at home...
    I still believe it is a grey area. It is not actually "in" the act. They haven't made any "changes" to the act in regard to playmates. When you call the Ministry and ask them, they may tell you what they want you to do, but since it is not actually "in" the act, it is not illegal. If reported could the ministry come and tell you to stop it, yes. Now, if someone wants to bring up a link that shows the actual Day Nurseries Act stating that Private Home Child care Operators can not meet up with other Home Child are Operators for playmates, I would be glad to be educated

Outgoing
    What does the daycare act actually say "now" as far as number of children and ages for nonregistered home daycare

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    What does the daycare act actually say "now" as far as number of children and ages for nonregistered home daycare
    It depends which Province you live in.

In NS, we can't go over out numbers regardless of registration status, it's 6 including our own if our own are younger than 12 years BUT we may have play dates with other carer's providing it's not a daily event and this can happen in each other's homes. The ratio of 6 per carer has to be followed and it has to be a true play date not a routine part of every day where the whole business is run jointly.

Which Province are you in SandyLynn as you need to prefer to your own DC regulations.

Outgoing
    province of Ontario

does anyone know the regulations for this in Alberta? I haven't been able to find much on it.

Outgoing
    does anyone know the regulations for this in Alberta? I haven't been able to find much on it.
    Try calling your local Community Services. I lucked in years back and got a contact and her direct line, although to be fair, when I've phoned the general number to ask for clarification on things, they've all been helpful. And no, I'm not registered - but Community Services (here at least) have to ensure those unregistered are following the conditions which permit an unregistered home so they've always been really helpful in explaining the grey areas.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post: