Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

11 month old son not adjusting well to me opening daycare in our home. Tips ?

I just recently have opened a daycare in my home, and my son appears to be showing signs of jealousy. He has been hanging off my legs trying to be picked up and is crying for no apparent reason. He is fine when the other child is out of his sight. My son almost never cried before the other children came.

Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have any advice on how to make this easier on him? What have you done before?

Euphoric !
    Aw, poor little guy has to share his Mommy now! My children are grown now so I'm just sending you support. The ladies with young children will have great advice for you.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Outgoing
    My children are adults too, but my granddaughter was here 3 days a week for 2 years before I decided to open a daycare. She was old enough to be excited to have friends joining us, but there were times when you could tell she wanted "just Grandma and me" time. I made sure to give her lots of attention when the other ones were napping. I just read her a story and we cuddle and talk about the fun we'll have when the babies are ready to join us again. I know your son is only 11 months old, but I would make sure to give him lots of extra attention. I expect once he feels more secure with the new arrangement, he'll enjoy having a playmate. It's sort of like getting a sibling... many children resort to infant behaviour and clinginess when a new baby joins the family.

Outgoing
    It's normal for our children to "act out" differently once you open a daycare in your house, as it is a very big change for them. They are used to how it was, and now you have gone and brought other children into the home and all the attention is not him anymore.
    I would make sure he gets a lot of "special' attention from you, whether it be before nap (put him down last and read him a book) or after daycare hours. Also, make sure that he has some toys that are just his and are not used by the daycare. It will take him some time to adjust, but once he is used to it, he will relax.

Expansive...
    I would say that he will probably get used to it...my daughter was the same. Just make sure you are giving him lots of love and affection. It will probably get better when he gets older and can play more with the other kids. Hang in there!

Euphoric !
    It may just be fear of the amount of movement/noise etc. going on. You say he wants up. Just as we do with a new child that starts that cries all the time it sometimes works to put them in an exersaucer or highchair in the room but away from the confusion. They feel protected and gradually get used to the changes.

At the same time your son is young enough that he should make the switch to group a lot better than an older child would that has had longer to be the centre of attention as toddlers would be. Be matter of fact and only slightly make allowances for the tears. Again imagine if you had been the one going to work and putting your child into someone else's care a lot of the behaviours would be the same as in it isn't about you and him it is about him and them.

Has your son had a lot of playgroup experience prior to this? Was the home kept nosiy and busy or was it more a relaxed sit quietly and cuddle type of environment. He is making adjustments just like you are.