Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Public Transportation or Van?

I was set on getting a used mini van and using it for daycare. However, I am only planning on using it maybe 4 times a month for daycare purposes. I spent today looking at where we wanted to go for activities and all the places are along an accessable bus route with a bit of walking....sooooo... .I am planning to have three kids (including my son) under the age four for our morning outings. I have been debating the pros and cons of a double stroller and child-wearing vs. buying a van.

Pros of Van:
    • easy
    • no waiting for buses
    • weather less of an inconvienence
    • can also use it as our family's second vehicle (which we need anyways)

Cons of Van:
    • cost
    • liability / insurance
    • finding a van with enough tethers for FF

Pros of Bus / Stroller / Wearing:
    • cost effective
    • Need stroller anyways for neighbourhood outings
    • less liability / insurance

Cons of Bus:
    • Evil looks for brining a double stroller on the bus
    • Cranky busdrivers who hate strollers
    • Waiting for buses

Give me your opinions! Please!! Do any bussers have experience to share?

Shy
    During the summer I may have two more children, but they would be school age, so could walk onto the bus!

I live on a bus route. Sometimes I take the kids for a ride on the bus round trip. They love it and we bring a snack(and clean up after ourselves) The people on the bus mid morning time are mostly seniors and they get a kick out of the kids who are always well behaved. The bus drivers are usually co-operative. If not I let them know they must give me an extra moment to settle the kids and can not move the bus until we are in our seats. If they don't like it too bad. Passenger safety first. Also the kids travel for free.
    I love the idea of having our own wheels with the kids, but it is not cost effective for me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Also, if you have done a double on a city bus, which strollers would your recommend. If I'm not buying a van, I'm willing to spend more on a decent stroller!

Euphoric !
    I love your pros and cons list Monkeymamma. Too cute. I don't have any option since I don't own a vehicle so foot power and the bus are our only options. I have a Duoglider double stroller so the smallest two children always get to ride. The other three chilren walk beside me on the toddler restraint systems, which are the little animal backpacks with a string attached to my wrists.

They walk beside the stroller holding on and it takes lots of practice, 1/2 a block the first week, up and down the whole block the second week and it may take a month until we are going all the way around the block and a few months before we try crossing any roads. Within a few months we can travel long distances. It's really important to me to get out and about all the time. I hate being housebound!

I know a lot of people are fine with the children just walking by the stroller and holding on but I am too frightened to let them do that and insist they be attached to me. Better safe than sorry. I know some people look at me like I'm a big bully putting children in restraint systems but I will not take any chances.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    While talking about outings thought I would post this ad I just got from www.avronforkids.com

It is called the "Gaggle" and it looks like something Fred Flinstone would have driven but it is all plastic, seats 6 and has a solid roof. Cost is $2199 so more than most caregivers can afford but interesting all the same.

If you can get a really sturdy double stroller you might be able to actually get all three children into it if the seats do not have a middle separation - squishy and not for winter snowsuits but I know there were many times I would put the kids in the stroller and then the youngest baby on the lap of one of the kids for going to the school - usually the one holding the baby was able to walk just slow. I used the walking harness to strap in the baby so there was still a belt being used. Again not ideal but a way to do it for outings on the bus so your hands and body are free. Also if the group is that young you really have to weigh whether the outing is really necessary in terms of meeting a need or something that could wait till group is older and more could walk.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: