Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Before/After School Care offered at School?

So I got a survey today from our school, asking if there was interest in a before and afterschool daycare program to be run at the school. If it happens, I'm kinda concerned as 4 of the 5 children I lookafter are or will be in school next year. What do you think? Does your school offer this type of program and if so how did it impact your own daycare?

Expansive...
    Ehmm- I would be hesitant to pull my kids from a relationship with a caregiver who cares for them especially with so much else changing, like school starting.

But it may influence these parents..I wish I had better advice for you.

Euphoric !
    A lot of the schools here in Ottawa offer in school daycare for school age kids. Spaces fill quickly and there is more demand than space. As the move is made to full day kindergarten the before and after school care component is part of the program and schools were supposed to offer it - the seamless day concept. But the schools got a reprieve and only had to offer it if enough parents signed on. IF your school starts to offer the program I would expect some of your parents to be interested depending on what the cost will be. The good news for you is that there will probably be more demand for the program than spaces so not all of your kids would even get in.

got the letter today, they are accepting registration for the school daycare starting next fall! That was fast eh? I supposed there was a huge demand for it!

Expansive...
    I have a 4 year old dck starting kindergarten this fall in a school where they have a before/after school program and the parents told me it was pretty pricey. I don't remember the exact figure but I think it was way cheaper to use a homedaycare for after school than it was the school program.

I have heard from a couple of parents in my area that the before and after school program offered at the schools is more expensive than they were paying for full day care. If this is true, you will probably keep all your kids!

Right now its just before and afterschool care that they are offering for $18/day and they are providing snacks, they open 7am-7:55 when school starts and then again 2:30 -6pm. I charge $15/day provide snacks but I am strict about my 5pm closing time. I was going to put up my fees a bit this coming school year but I'm worried that the fact that I have 2 families for whom the 6pm pickup will be way more flexible for them, and thefact that I'm taking 2 months off this school year when my 3rd is born that maybe a price hike will be the straw that breaks the camels back!!! I'm banking on the fact that my kids and their kids are great friends and that hopefully the children would rather keep coming to me rather than stay at school. I think it will be ok.