Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stat Holidays

Shy

Lightbulb Stat Holidays

Dear all daycare provider

I started my daycare 4 months ago. I am new to the daycare field and love my job.In my contract it says that stat holidays are unpaid.

I would like to change this because I am noticing that there is just way to many and my contract is not on any kind of term and does not say that I can not change anything.

So my question to all of you is how should I go about changing this. Should I wait untill each child reaches 3 months with me and then update my contract or do any of you have any additional ideas for me.

I would personally give 30 days written notice on a Friday stating that all stat days are paid days off for you. Have them sign a copy and return to you by the Monday in acceptance of the change in your contract. Im sure they will all understand as they will have paid stat days off too and if they shop around they would likely find that it is the norm for daycare providers to charge for them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

my contract states:

We agree to abide by all policies stated in the Agreement as well as all the policies that are listed on the daycares website; valerieshomedaycare. weebly.com (hard copies of these policies available upon request). We understand that we will be notified in writing of any changes in these policies.

I can update my policies at anytime; General policies get a two week notice in writing, any Health and/or Safety policies they get a letter at either drop off/pick up stating that the policy starts now.

I would personally give 30 days written notice on a Friday stating that all stat days are paid days off for you. Have them sign a copy and return to you by the Monday in acceptance of the change in your contract. Im sure they will all understand as they will have paid stat days off too and if they shop around they would likely find that it is the norm for daycare providers to charge for them.
    since you don't have anything in your contract about updating/adding policies I would do the same.
    Last edited by BlueRose; 02-19-2013 at 10:01 AM.

I agree to say, this week's holiday was unpaid as per our understanding, but starting next holiday (easter friday and monday... for example) the holidays will now be payable. Thank you for your understanding.

I dont like to let them leave with documents to bring back, so I would email to parents to notice them and ask for them to confirm they received the email and saying that you will have them sign the understanding at the daycare (if you want to give them a week then your form will be ready to sign on Monday).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DisneyPrincess For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thank you everyone for the great advice.What would you do if someone puts up a stink about this change?
    Last edited by Loyer; 02-19-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Euphoric !
    Failure to sign the change by a specific date is the equivalent of giving you notice they do not wish to stay in your care since they must abide by the regulations to do so.

Euphoric !
    I have a different opinion .....I would say that since you have only been open for 4 months that you should change your contract so that all new families coming in will be paying stat holidays and leave the ones on current enrolment as they are for the first year. As a parent I would not be impressed if you started changing things so quickly. These parents may have signed on with you for this reason and you have to decide if its worth losing them over. However if you waited a full year then these parents would be more likely to agree as their children are settled and happy, and they would be less likely to want to change providers.

Euphoric !
    You could just let it go for now as Crayola said and then come September let them know that starting for the new year ie Jan 2014 that stats will now be paid days meaning payment is by enrolment. There are only 10 stats throughout the year and if you do it in January then it is two months till the first one they would have to pay if you let Jan 1 go.

But for sure all new families that start will be paying the stats from the day they start.

That is how I raise my fees too in the sense of only for incoming new families and old familes pay the same rate as long as they stay with me.