Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is she eating too much!?

I have a 5 month old baby in care, she is a very "need to suck" infant, but also seems to not be satisfied with the pacifier at times and just wants to eat. The problem is, very often she cries a hungry cry about 1.5 hours after her last bottle. In all the years I have done this and raised my own children, I have never fed a baby so much. My better judgement tells me not to feed her so much, and when she cries for the bottle 1.5 hours after the last, I make her wait for at least another half hour, keeping the bottles at least 2 hours apart. She is a heavy baby, with extra weight, has baby boobies and rolls on her thighs and lower belly. My concern is that she is over fed, but I try my best to follow home practices which are to feed every two hours most often. (on demand) (my opinion of on demand feeding is more for new born not 5 month olds) This is equaling a round about total of 25-30 oz each day while in care from 8am-5pm. Just seems like too much to me. what do you think?

I know not all babies are the same but to compare, most other babies in my care average approx 3-4 bottles in a span of 9 hours and at that age seems to average more like 4-6 oz per bottle, equaling more like 12-24 oz at the VERY most in a full days care!

Outgoing
    Maybe the child is that hungry, and the formula isn't enough. If the child is 5 months old, maybe the parents should talk to their dr about introducing solids. That may cut down on the feedings.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bookworm For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I had to introduce solids to my 2nd early because she was never satisfied. The day I introduced cereal she became much more happy and slept better (was a fussy baby and bad sleeper)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    A child that can not go almost 3-4 hours between bottles needs solids. That will stay in the system longer. The problem with the milk is that it is no longer satisfying so they need even more to keep the tummy full.

Barring that it may just be that the child doesn't know the difference between hunger pains and need to suck pains and you will need to just ignore the food demands if it is not time for the next feeding. The parents have taught the child that if I cry I get food. A soother just doesn't taste good.

Expansive...
    I think babies go on instinct so if she cries a hungry cry then she is hungry.

I wouldn't worry about baby weight or chubbiness because she will slim down once she crawls, walks and gets moving.

Personally I would feed her if she seems hungry. She is just a baby and she could be going through a growth spurt.

I had a girl who ate tons the first year with me and suddenly at 2 years started saying she was full or leaving half her lunch and slimming down. During the first year....I was worried that I was overfeeding her because she would want 4 servings of lunch etc but now that she seems to be slowing down her growth she is slimming down and she listens to her body.

I would start introducing solids as well. I wouldn't want to keep feeding on demand plus you don't want to have the child associate food with comfort when in fact all she may need is her soother.
    My daughter was a skinny premee who became a chubby toddler though she ate a mainly vegan diet and didn't have sugar till her first birthday cake so sometimes it is genetics (her dad was a chubby baby too)

Expansive...
    When my kids were that age I was breastfeeding and they were fed every 1 1/2 hours, on demand. It was like that for both of them, yet one was always really skinny and the other had rolls all over I would say that that is her "normal". However she IS getting closer to 6 months and will be eating solids soon anyways. I think you should bring it up with the parents, and let them decide when to start solids. HTH!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I breastfeed on demand, and both my kids ate every 2 hours at that age....I personally dont feel you can overfeed an infant....i dont think she will associate crying with you giving in, she will associate you with fulfilling her need and keeping her safe and happy....now, if she was 3 a whole nother story

Outgoing
    I could not do every 2 hours feedings. I would feed this baby5 ounces every 3 hours. Thats 3 hours would be from the stop of the first bottle to the start of the next bottle. 3 hours in between.I would also do a ton of belly time.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

14. The Following User Says Thank You to daycarewhisperer For This Useful Post: