Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Fixed, rotating food schedule?

Does anyone use a fixed lunch schedule? I am thinking of trying this, as I have been stressing over lunches? I have 7 in my care all ranging from baby up to 2 1/2 and I was making extra dinner and serving that the next day but it jut isn't working for this age group! My close friend works at a daycare centre and she mentioned that they have a 3 or 4 week lunch schedule that they just rotate weekly and then switch up every 6 months! I was thinking of planning out 2 weeks of lunches ( snacks are easier and will not be the same) to see how it goes....I find the kids don't get bored as much as I do and something they had on a Monday this week and then not again until 2 weeks later will be enough of a gap? Anyone have experience with this? Also looking for some easy, healthy lunch ideas!!

Euphoric !
    I've just been doing my menu a week in advance and writing it in the journal by the cubbies. I think I'd get bored of a fixed menu, but it does help me to have something planned out ahead of time, even if it's just a week at a time. This way, I find I can keep lots of variety and also leave more flexibility to utilize great specials.

My kids are in the same age group as yours. We eat mainly vegetarian with a little fish here and there. Some of the things I serve that go over well are:

- Quinoa muffins, cheese, yogourt, fruit
    - mushroom quinoa, tomato/cucumber/feta salad
    - beetroot risotto (dead easy to make), baked egg, veg
    - Swedish pancakes with berries and yogourt (swedish pancakes similar to crepes, with lots of egg and milk-good protein)
    - fish with garlic, lemon & butter, lemon rice, veg
    - Impossible quiche, veg, potato
    - veggie omelet, toast
    - cauliflower/blue cheese/quinoa soup with toast (super easy and really good)
    - Saag Paneer, rice. I was shocked when they ALL scarfed this one down!
    - Butter 'chicken', rice, veg (used paneer instead of chicken)
    - brown beans, toast, diced tomatoes

Those are the most popular ones with my kidlets. Most of them are good because you can make up ahead of time. The Impossible Quiche is a big one as it only takes a few minutes to make and can freeze quite well. The soup freezes quite well too.

Euphoric !
    The problem with a fixed menu is that it doesn't allow you to take advantage of the weekly specials at the grocery store. You would do better to start with the grocery ads - thursday in my paper and then make up a menu for daycare/family for the coming week or even two weeks based on those ads so yes you are buying some of what you need for week two on sale the first week and then augmenting with fresh stuff which is somewhat the same week to week.

I don't worry too much about variety because the kids don't appreciate it. They like things a certain way and are quite content if chicken is always one way where an adult appreciate varying the spices and sauces a lot more. Because I serve mostly finger foods to all age groups so I don't have to make several meals to cover all the ages just having a house of basic items works for me. It might be boring to everyone else but the kids are happy and eat and my parents appreciate that more than how much I vary the menu.

Expansive...
    I kind of rotate menu. Not exactly but I do spaghetti only once every two weeks and then I do a creamy soup every other week. Then one week I do a beef goulash with rice and the alternating week I do chicken with rice. Lasagna is also every other week and the next week I flip it with a beef noodle soup.

I also think it is fine to serve the same meal two days in a row (with a different fruit or veggie side). My family eats the same meal two or three days and I don't want to cook new food for the DCK if there is still perfectly good food to use. I never hear any complaints from the daycare parents about it but it does happen once a week at least.

Euphoric !
    Completely agree with Playfelt! I started out with a menu but tossed it out after a few months. It was making my life difficult. I serve lots of nutritious, home cooked food and lots of fresh produce. It's much simpler for me when I can fill up the crock pot the night before and get it heating up first thing in the morning. When we are outside too long it's great to be able to chop up some ham and cheese chunks and pepper strips with other veggie sitcks and get back on schedule. We are a busy group so I've learned to streamline my menu so it is never a worry. I keep things in the fridge for a quick changeup in case we get delayed for a meal.

Cfred, you serve exotic foods! I pretty much stick to chicken, beef, pork or fish along with a couple of veggies, a grain and a fruit for lunch. Breakfast is bacon or sausages or a grain product with fruit and afternoon snack is usually yogurt or cheese, fruit or a grain product. I have always had picky eaters in care but right now my group is pretty easy going, just one picky veggie eater.

I don't blame all of you who are cooking for your family and using the leftovers the next day for lunch. That would save lots of time. My children are grown so it's the opposite for me. The fresh meal of the day is served at lunch and I eat leftovers for dinner.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    Yeah, I guess they do seem like exotic foods, Momof4. They're actually really easy and it's what we eat as a family, but I do the reverse of everyone else. When I prepare the food for lunch, I usually make enough for us to have for supper. Since reopening, to help draw people in, I'm trying to cater to a niche market of vegetarian, vegan and a strong focus on not supporting factory farming. Ethically raised meat is bloody expensive, so I serve mainly veg. I have to be pretty creative to keep the menu appealing to the adults and find things the kids like. As I read through my menu, I realize it may come across as sounding almost 'snooty'. Really, just trying a different angle, which is more in line with my own beliefs and seeing if I can use that to improve business. So far it's working, though some days, I could really dig some meatloaf or bacon.....

God I miss bacon..........

Euphoric !
    One way to set the menu is to set the basic ingredients and then decide that week what you are going to do with it. So for instance you might say Tuesday is hamburg day and then one week you make a meatloaf, the next week hamburgs in buns, sweet and sour meatballs, shepherd's pie, etc. so when shopping you then would be buying what would go with the hamburg. That at least helps you to have a planned but flexible and varied menu. Really there are only so many kinds of meats out there that it is what you do with it that gives the variety.

That is how I used to price out my food for taxes in the sense that I put the meat in for each day and then the extras such as jar of sauce, package of noodles, box of hamburg helper, etc.

I dont think your foods sound exotic cfred. I think the food you offer is wonderful, exposing the children to foods that are not only superior in nutrition but also help the children have much more evolved pallets beyond produced foods which are layer upon layer of salt sugar and fat. It may not be regular everyday foods for some folks but once people try these foods they soon realize they are actually super easy to prepare. My meal plan does not include red meat, pork or lamb and is prodomenantly organic or antibiotic free and no processed foods. I serve only ground turkey, chicken and fish and vegetarian meals are regular as my own son is veggie and so I realize the huge benefits to cookking vegetarian meals. They cost a LOT less and also stay fresh much longer. I think its personal preference though so whatever works for a persons lifestyle. Back to the original question about rotating.....

I have tried many different ways of prepping meals for my daycare over the years and for the last two I find what works best for me is to cook once every 9 weeks. I have 15 meals and my recipes end up making enough for 5 kids x 3 so I have a 3 week menu that rotates three times. Its a busy weekend when I cook I admit but I have a way to busy week to be cooking an extra meal everyday and I dont feed my kids leftovers. I found when I cooked daily by the time i got to my evening mal I couldnt be bothered cooking any more and would be prone to eating unhealthy convenience food or eating out.

Shopping in the sales weekly from the flyers doesnt really work to well for my meal plan. I buy my whole grains..kamut or quinoa pasta, quinoa and brown basmati rice in bulk from a great organic supplier. It works out cheaper than in the store too which is a bonus. I also buy my meat direct from the farm too and portion everything, vacuum seal it and freeze it. Im sure that this seems above and beyond what I should do for my daycare kids but I somehow couldn't sleep at night knowing that I feed my family great nutritional food but feed the daycare kids whatever food is on sale which may not match my personal values when it came to nutrition. Dont get me wrong I buy what I can that is healthy and cheap but what I save there I invest on my organic extras.

I love only cooking once every 9 weeks and freeze everything in foil trays and reheat in the oven in the morning slowly while we are all busy with our program (no microwave) and it means I dont spend extra time cooking in the evenings which I couldnt possibly do with my own kids activities and night school and I couldnt imagine making a whole meal from scratch during the daycare day.

I think its just a matter of figuring out what works best in your routine and with your food preferences. Theres no right or wrong way as a rule.

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks everyone!!

I made a six weeks schedule that I have been using for the past year actually. I dont have anything complicated or meals you cant pronounce the names. I was told before I open, it doesnt have to be complicated for kids really. Plus I'm picky myself so I know nothing of stuffed mushrooms or beetroot rissoto... your good Cfed cause I'm more pâté chinois, homemade mac&cheese, roastbeef etc... of course it depends on specials for expensive meat like roastbeef (especially because they dont even eat it, at Christmas they didnt even eat the Turkey, I was crying since its sooooo good). On very special occasions like B-day of older children, they can decide and they say Kraft Diner and hot-dogs (happened twice in a year and no big-d with parents)... I do add vegies and they have fruits and cheese most snacks. It can happen that I will decide to do a new meal that is not on my 6 weeks schedules, I think its time I review my meals or create new schedule lol. They have milk at breakfast and lunch, juice at snacks. They'll grow up just fine

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DisneyPrincess For This Useful Post: