Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Starting to feel at home...

DCDad Mad he has to pay me for stat?????

I have a contract with all my clients (i didn't in the beginning ) and I have it written right on the contract about stats and missed days.

His son has missed a lot of days because of illness and due to the fact they are a separated family. He did not pay me over Christmas and I let it go (I didn't want to start the new year with bad karma).

After getting mad at me about his having to pay for the stat he then told me I was over charging ($150/week kindergarten half days) and I don't have a structured day where I sit down and "teach" the children.

I made it very clear from the beginning I am more than happy to read with the children and have crafty things available to them all day. I have educational items throughout my home and we sing songs when they strike us about the alphabet and do simple math through the day we also have touched on geography and science as the child(ren) show interest.

I am not a structured type personality and would prefer the children to express interest instead of preaching to them.

I am shocked and very disheartened as this is the first time I have had any parent "attack" me about what I do with the children.

I have updated all my daycare postings and have decided to look for a new client. I really don't want to do this, i don't feel as if I have any other choice.

Am I wrong???

Euphoric !
    No, you are not wrong. I'm sorry he's giving you a hard time. Nothing cuts to the core of us as much as someone attacking our professionalism. He is aware, isn't he, that you're not a 'teacher'? Dear doG, let the child play! I'm of the same mind as you by the sounds of it and it's right in my website in my philosophy. Children do most of their learning outside of circle time, in their day to day activities and especially through play. I'm certainly not going to cram academics down their throats. I think what you're doing is fine. The children will have plenty of time to 'sit down and learn' at school.

I think you're right to let him go. I'm sorry you had to let that money go from Christmas....bugger! He'll never appreciate that. I'm with you.....find a new client....one who understands, appreciates and agrees with your philosophy. It's a shame, because I'm betting you like the child just fine, but that's who'll pay the price in the end.
    Last edited by cfred; 02-19-2013 at 10:10 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree with cfred .... You are not a teacher and children learn through play.... In Ontario most kindergarten is full day and play based ..... When I interview prospective families I tell them my structure is meal times and nap times but when they are playing they can do what they want. If he signed the contract to say that he is to pay all days then that's what us to pay and yes I too would replace him

Obviously the Dad has other stressors in his life and has chosen you as a target to release his frustrations on. Do not take this personally and start second quessing how you run your daycare. I do playbased learning as well and if I see an interest in deeper learning from a child we pursue that.
    His attitude indicates he believes you are beneath him and his disrespect is appaling. Replace when you can.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mimi View Post
    Obviously the Dad has other stressors in his life and has chosen you as a target to release his frustrations on. .
    How right you are! He is trying to put his family back together and I have clearly chosen the wrong time to stick to my guns. Sadly I am non-confrontational so he will win everytime!

Cross your fingers for me ladies hopefully i will get a bite this week or next!

I hope things work out for him and his family, however, there really is not a wrong time to uphold your policies we just have to do it in a kind and business like manner. Fingers crossed for a new client

It doesn't matter what you are or are not doing with the kids. All that matters is that you are living up to the contract you both signed and what you "sold" them on in the interview. This parent signed a contract and he has to live by it.

Wanna know what I would do?? So, if for example he only paid me for four days this week because he wouldn't pay for the stat that would mean he paid for Mon-Thurs. Tomorrow morning when he shows up I would refuse care under the guidelines per the contract that he has not yet paid for it.

Yep, I would set the precedent that he pays or he leaves. There is no other option.

You have to put your foot down. Honestly, he is disrespectful and I would terminate them without notice for that sort of comment and not wanting to pay.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Trickett View Post
    Wanna know what I would do?? So, if for example he only paid me for four days this week because he wouldn't pay for the stat that would mean he paid for Mon-Thurs. Tomorrow morning when he shows up I would refuse care under the guidelines per the contract that he has not yet paid for it.

Yep, I would set the precedent that he pays or he leaves. There is no other option.
    Unfortunately his son arrives on the school bus I don't see him in the mornings, and really I don't want his little boy to feel I am rejecting him by not taking him off the bus. This is a great idea if he did a morning drop!

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    Unfortunately his son arrives on the school bus I don't see him in the mornings, and really I don't want his little boy to feel I am rejecting him by not taking him off the bus. This is a great idea if he did a morning drop!
    Easy. You call the parents and tell them you will refuse him entry to your house. In fact, send an email too so you have a paper trail. Then call the school and let them know he is not to get on the bus to go to your house but his OWN house.

Then, IF the kid shows up anyway, call CAS. I would.

I would NOT allow a parent to strong arm me into caring for their kid. Seriously, you have to take care of it or he could just continue to send the kid for an eternity while not paying for it and every day you would just accept the kid without payment because you don't want the to feel "rejected"? That feeling of the kid is not on YOU - it's on his parents who were warned to NOT let the kid in your care without payment.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Judy hit the nail. Do just that. And I would still advertise and replace the family!!