Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    apples and bananas

When you know more then the parents...

A parent comes to drop off their child and in conversation they say something like...

"Little suzy said her abc's last night! for the first time!" or

"Johnny said your name all the way here this morning"

Ok, well, suzy's been saying her ABC's for 2 weeks now because she learned it at daycare. And Johnny won't stop saying my name during the day! LOL

How do you respond? Do you let the client know that they've been doing it for weeks? Do you just celebrate the milestone?

Euphoric !
    I would say "yes we've been practising "

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

As a Mom who was in tears b/c my first son took his first steps @ daycare...I just let it go & let the parents treasure the moment.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Yeah I agree with Dream, just smile and say he's a smart boy. They KNOW where he learned it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Yeah, I just tell them we've been practising too. I also had a mother tell me I had permission to push her daughter down if it looked like she was going to take her first steps here instead of at home. I never tell the parents if their child took their first steps here, and when they come to me and tell me, I always say, "I knew it was coming, glad you got to see if first".

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bookworm For This Useful Post:

Yup, agree with the others on this one. Let them know you've been practicing, but let them think they completed this "milestone" on their own. Especially the first steps when you have an infant.

Parents feel immense guilt leaving their kids (I did when I worked outside the home when my son was little) and will be over the moon thinking they have experienced all the "firsts". It's a daycare providers secret that these first steps and milestones were done days or weeks whilst in our care

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    Yeah, I just tell them we've been practising too. I also had a mother tell me I had permission to push her daughter down if it looked like she was going to take her first steps here instead of at home. I never tell the parents if their child took their first steps here, and when they come to me and tell me, I always say, "I knew it was coming, glad you got to see if first".
    WHAT? Push her child down? WOW!

Outgoing
    Mimi...I guess I should explain she was joking about me actually pushing her child down. I would never do it. She just didn't want her to have her first steps here.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bookworm For This Useful Post:

thanks for clarifying Bookworm! That really bothered me

Euphoric !
    Yes agree - keep the info to yourself. Oh great news that she is doing that at home; we have been working on our letters at daycare. Then you haven't lied either in the sense that just because she has been able to do it at daycare for two weeks the ability to carry the info home and redo it is also a milestone.

There is also the option to let parents know when child has mastered some skill at daycare but then you run the risk of the parents grilling the child and spoiling their interest in further mastering the task.

Walking always happens at home first. Often it happens at pickup in that child turns sees the parent and then toddles over at least a few steps. I get all giddy and do the oh my goodness those are real steps as if it is the first time for me too. I knew it was going to happen soon he has been trying so hard as if he wanted to.