Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Trace of Angels

4 day a week spots

Hi Everyone,

I have parents that signed with me full time that now want a four day a week spot and another set of parents that are part time (share this spot with another set of part time parents and it creates a full time spot) that would also like 4 days a week.

I don't know what to say or how to feel. Of course they both only want to pay for four days a week as well. But where do I find other clients that just want one day a week to supplement y income..........like impossible!!!!!

What would you do or say? Has anyone encountered this?

Need some advice please

And if I say yes to one then I have to say yes to another.......

Euphoric !
    Can you charge them a part-time rate, maybe $5 more a day if they are using less than 5 days/week. That's what I do. Also, are they going to be scheduling around stat days so they get out of paying for them? That's been my experience with part-time families. No, you can never fill the empty one day/week space unless you are incredibly lucky, I agree.

I know some people charge for full weeks even for part-time families or they keep interviewing. Personally, I like to have one part-time family so I have an easier day or two a week with only 4 children, but that's me. Do what is best for YOU!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    I charge full-time for 4 day a week kids. It is impossible and undesirable to fill a one day a week spot. Then the parent has the option to bring the kid for the fifth day all the time or some of the time. My current 4 day kid comes maybe once a month on the fifth day, but it gives his mom the opportunity to schedule appointments etc.

Euphoric !
    I'm not willing to do 4 day/wk spots either. That remaining spot is unfillable. I like that idea of charging more for part time...great idea! I'd maybe add a little clause about Stats being paid regardless of part or full time status....ya know! If they're scheduled to be there on a stat, that's their day.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    I charge full-time for 4 day a week kids. It is impossible and undesirable to fill a one day a week spot. Then the parent has the option to bring the kid for the fifth day all the time or some of the time. My current 4 day kid comes maybe once a month on the fifth day, but it gives his mom the opportunity to schedule appointments etc.
    I'm with Sunnydays on this one - if the child is in your care for four out of five days they need to pay full time rates. Try explaining it to the parents in neutral, "business" terms. I usually explain that the profit margins in this business do not allow for discounts, and that many of the expenses we incurr (additional insurance, purchasing crafts and toys, purchasing playpens/cribs for naptimes) are not reduced significantly just because the child is only in attendance four days a week.

Trace of Angels
    AHHHH feeling a relief that I am not a total unreasonable person for not wanting to do four day a week spots. I figured most providers felt the same as I do..........filling a one day a week is very undesirable

Outgoing
    4 days/week is considered full time in my daycare too so they pay full time rates. Trying to fill that 1 day/week spot is very hard not to mention transitioning a child at 1 day/week would be hell. I've never had nothing but problems with a 1 day/week kid.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Euphoric !
    I consider 4 days a week fulltime too but if you did give a discount it would be part way between what would be 4xyour daily rate and 5x your daily rate to compensate.

Since you have two families wanting a day off per week is it possible for it to be a different day. Then there is a very good chance you could find a client needing two days a week - even a mom home on mat leave looking to get their child out and about a couple days. Just make sure they realize once they have gone to 4 days they may lose the chance to ever use the fifth day meaning if they are not paying for it you do not have to be available to them ever on that day.