Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Grandpas in Heaven....baby not in daycare...

Does anybody charge for days a child is absent due to the death of a family member? Not just for a funeral day, but because the parents were off work and kept little Johnny home...

Expansive...
    I think that sort of thing has to go with how you feel and what you feel okay with.

The parents probably are getting paid for the day and took it as a sick or vacay day and will probably be reimbursed at their job.

However....if they are keeping little Johnny home to feel comfort on a difficult day then you may want to give them a break and it is a nice gesture to tell them that they don't owe for that day.

It is certainly within your rights to charge but it depends whether you feel right doing so.Also...is it just one day where they will be off or are they really having a hard time and going to keep little Johnny home for multiple days? Those are all factors

Expansive...
    my condolences to the family, the death of a family member is never easy. If it were a close relative (including grandparents) but not like 4th cousin twice removed etc. I would let them slide for the day

Euphoric !
    Things like funerals are not charged and I usually write that in a sympathy card I give to the family. What has happened more for me unless it is out of town is that the child comes to me more hours than usual as toddlers aren't always included in the day so the parents get free care during the funeral. Same thing with births in the family and I will keep the child evening/overnight at no charge. This includes weekends if I am able. I figure it puts me in the good books with the family and is cheaper than a nice gift or donation. It also is such a relief to the parents because everything the child needs is already at my house or we can manage ie sleep in clothes as they are used to napping in them anyways so it won't seem out of the ordinary at my house. Being a military family I often have military families in care and especially with births or other emergencies there is rarely family near by.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: