Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control

Threaded View

Working full time but looking to switch to opening in home daycare. Need advice :)

Hi ladies,
    So I am a Mom to a 1 year old. I just went back to work in an office, where 3/4's of my pay goes towards paying for my daughter's Day Care, and gas. I work as a receptionist, (not my career of choice) and so I hate that I am wasting time doing this for very little.
    I do love kids, I have a BA in Sociology, and I need to make more money than what I am doing now. After applying to various jobs, opening a home daycare seems to be my best solution. Here are my dilemmas:
    1.) How do I transition from working full time, to finding clients to come to my home?
    2.) I have a pool that is NOT fenced (yet). I plan to do this this spring, although I do have a fenced in yard. Do I have to wait until after my pool is fenced in to find clients?
    3.) Is it practical to share family room space with a Day Care space?
    4.) How difficult is it to find clients?
    5.) Do you ever get bored?
    6.) Any tips for handling separation anxiety for the children in your care?

I am struggling with this decision, mostly because I am not 100% sure where to start. Other than my own baby, and babysitting as a teen, I don't have a lot of experience watching kids. But opening a home daycare gives me hope that I can have the balance of taking care of my baby while bringing in an income as well! My mother said she watched other kids while my brother and I were small to bring in extra money. She said she didn't like it, and thinks I won't either. I don't want to think this way, I want to enjoy this.
    Any tips you have would be wonderful!!!
    Thanks so much!
    Last edited by ab04ch; 02-20-2013 at 10:21 PM.