Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Using the The Nipissing District Developmental Screen

I know from other threads, that a number of you use this tool for screening the kids in your daycare and providing a snapshot to parents of what you have seen in their children. I decided it would be a good way to broach topics that are difficult to bring up, such as possible concerns in development. I have a child who is turning 2 this week and is the biggest concern to me, and when I filled out the screening questionaire, he had almost half "no" answers. He barely talks, only understands some simple instructions, does not do pretend play at all, etc. In fact, when I look at the screener for 18 month olds, there are many things on there that he cannot do either (ex. he cannot point to his body parts...sometimes he will point to one or two, sometimes none at all). He was a late walker as well (19 months), so I don't know if he is just going to be late with everything, but he will get there...or if I should be very very concerned. And I am not sure how or if to explain to his parents that it is not just the lack of speech...his overall behaviour is on par with the 16-18 month olds I have known. Other than providing them with the screening tool I have filled out, would you say anything to the parents?

Expansive...
    I think that because you likely spend more time with him than his parents do, you might have a better idea of how he is doing developmentally. I would definitely bring it up with the parents and have a chat about it, and have them have a look at the screening ( first time hearing about it for me, but sounds like it might put things in perspective). Honestly I think it's part of our job to let parents know how their kids are doing, whether negatively or positively and if I was the parent I would want my provider to be very honest with me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Trace of Angels
    I had to have a conversation with a parent once like this.I explained that my intentions were sincere and of concern. I approached it like this........if you child was showing a 1% chance of having cancer wouldn't you bring him to a doctor????? Parents often overlook warning signs as they don't spend a lot of time with other kids of the same age.
    Think of it this way. IF there is something going on and you say nothing and then they ask you "why didn't you say anything" when this child could have gotten help so much sooner and could of made such a difference. I just wanted to protect my behind as well. Now I can sleep at night knowing that I was a voice for this child and I fought for him :-)
    It was tough but mom was amazing and understanding and grateful :-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trace of Angels For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Usually I do screenings like that and keep the info to myself. Then I start to work on specific things on the list. When we are approaching school as in the Fall of the year they will go to school then I will boach the family with a you know we have been working on some things and it just isnt' coming as fast I would like and they are things that the child is supposed to know or be able to do before going to school. Maybe we need to do something about this.

Then it gives time for the child to be a late bloomer and for the doctor to get over the brush it under the carpet non concern to you know what yes there are issues. Because I have been working on things with the child I don't feel bad about not bringing it up sooner.

Be aware that the suggested way to deal with the issues is for the child to move to a daycare centre where he can be assessed and the supports put in place for OT/PT/Speech, psychologist, etc. The idea being they will get those things in place in preparation for his transfer to the school system. So if you do it now you may lose him now so that is a risk you have to take into consideration. As well the parent may decide it is all your fault and nothing wrong with child and move him to another daycare anyways. Either way it comes down to two choices sometimes - say nothing or lose the child.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: