Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Potty training

Starting to feel at home...

Potty training

Hello,

I have 2 almost ready to potty train. I need advice..........my belief is to wait till the kids are showing the signs they are ready to potty train for example taking off there diaper, pulling down there pants, dry diapers, ect is it up to me when i start
    , how i do it ect....should i have some kind of policy or something? Im afraid that 1 of the parents think that he is ready now but here he is defiantly not showing the signs and i dont want to waste time training him when he's not ready?????

thanks

apples and bananas
    I have a policy that states that I will support any child willing and ready to potty train. It is at my descretion when they go into underwear at daycare. They are to wear pull ups until they are initiating the use of the toilet (asking, not being told) and are dry for several days.

I explain to parents that I do not put a child on the toilet every 20 min in hopes that something falls out of them. I offer consistent opportunities for them to use the bathroom, but I'm in no way in a position to force a child to use the toilet.

I keep consistent with the parents plan. I do not offer anything more then a sticker when they do good. (and some hugs and high fives! )

Kids train differently in a daycare environment. Parents need to understand that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't believe its really your job to start training these kids ...its the parents....when they start having some success at home you can support at daycare but they have to be in some sort of containment unit....pull up ....plastic pant over underwear...whatever .....also if the parents are not interested in training just yet you are wasting your time as there isn't any consistency between home and daycare.

You can tell them they can do all the potty training they want at home but at daycare certain criteria's must be met such as: showing interest, willing to sit on the potty, can tell you that they need to go, have dry diapers at nap, showing discomfort with poopy/wet diapers etc. Decide what criteria must be met at your daycare and then tell them you will let them know when you will proceed so they can follow at home.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

The parent and i quote has said " You'll be the one training him" since you have him full-time

Euphoric !
    ummm nope they can start when you/they take holidays and that way they have a full week or two or three to make some real progress and then you can help ......I seriously would have said something if that comment was made to me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

I have had problems with this parent before.........but i will put my foot down with the potty training i think she would have me putting him on the potty every 10 minutes if she could, she doesnt have a clue!?! (what its like to be watching 5 kids at once)

Euphoric !
    that's not potty training a child that's potty training an adult

Euphoric !
    I often start at daycare by simply having the child sit on the potty at routine times -like before snack, meals, or 20 minutes after snack or meals, after nap, etc. That is when I change diapers and especially if the child has a dry diaper when I go to change them. The goal is to teach them to hold it till the next time we are going potty/diapers anyways. I really don't care if they have the urge to piddle every so many minutes. If they can't hold it at least an hour then they are not physically ready expecially at daycare as time gets involved.

I used to insist on being able to manipulate clothing etc but it isn't the child's fault how the parent dresses them. However if they are in overalls or wearing a onesie there is no training that day. It has to be easy down and up pants. Not taking the time to lay child down and strip and redress every hour.

I prefer a much more natural approach as in it just starts to happen and they get so excited about holding it or if they can't hold it start telling me they gotta go now - which is really the goal.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: