Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I posted this on the CBC website:

I am ashamed of you CBC....

How dare you paint private care in such a light!! We are not all unqualified monsters, that sit in fancy homes raking in the bills. (your reporter zeroed in on dollar figures more than once) I in fact suffered a $500.00 loss last year, and made NADA.

In fact I am an ECE who has worked in lic. care, as well as an educational assistant with my public school system. At present I am working towards my ECE degree. I also take pride in the care I provide, have CPR, parent testimonials, (CPIC) a healthy meal plan, safe sleep areas and the allowable number of children in my care.

I also regularly invest in toys and learning materials, replacing broken toys etc. I too, encourage parents to stop in at any time and get their permission to use anything from medication (doctor given only) to trips outside of the dayhome.

For you to say that anyone can open a daycare is a rather glib statement, and though I have all the credentials needed, it is also up to the parent to ask the right questions of the person that they are entrusting with the task of taking care of their children.

I will also post my website for others to see an example of a quality program. It's www.________.com I regularly get compliments on my webpage.

Again, what a shame..I was hoping for a more balanced report..

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dodge__driver11 For This Useful Post:

You know what bothered me most about this segment? It wasn't the dirty, unsafe environments, it wasn't the TRULY "illegal daycares" (as opposed to someone who is simply unlicensed).....I think we all forcasted the CBC was going to highlight the worst of the worst and use fear-mongering to scare parents away from home daycare. Nope, none of that really phased me because I was expecting it.

What DID bother me was the line in the piece about how we, as HOME daycare providers are simply in it because it for the money. That "expert", Martha Friendly (who, by the way, according to her bio, has never actually worked in a centre or provided daycare in any capacity - she researches daycare) said that providing daycare is an "economic activity". WHY is that so bad???? Isn't EVERY parent who drops off their child in the care of someone else doing it for MONEY? Seriously, any time a parent drops of their kid into the care of someone else to go and earn MONEY is no different than us.

Why are we always made to be BAD because we expect financial retribution for doing a JOB?
    Last edited by Judy Trickett; 02-25-2013 at 06:56 AM.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

@ Judy I totally agree...that made me see red I was yelling at the screen

Euphoric !
    Oh jeez Trudy, I KNOW! Isn't it maddening? When I did my ECE course in the early/mid 90s, I was already a mother to a toddler girl. So I guess you could say I was a little more seasoned and possibly a realist. One day we had a class where the debate began about 'for profit' vs government funded 'not for profit' daycares. The ECE program I was in definitely had government funded daycares at the forefront of their agenda. I would be quite surprised if this wasn't the case in most ECE programs - no doubt there's some funding and political issue going on there. At any rate, the general view prescribed to us was that 'for profit is bad'. One should never make a profit off the backs of children.....yeah, that's ACTUALLY how it was worded! Of course, being a teenier bit more confrontational in my younger years, I had my hand up in a flash and said "Why not?" I thought they'd string me up right there. I explained that it's a business like any other. Why shouldn't we be compensated appropriately for providing a needed service and doing it well? Of course almost all the girls in there were starry eyed and fresh out of high school, so their minds were easily molded. It's almost like brainwashing - like it's a bad thing to even consider making some money from working with children. I had forgotten about that day until you put up your post....lol....thank s for the memory

And for the record, both of my sons went to a wonderful, for profit daycare facility. I found their daycare to be far superior to the nonprofits I worked in through college and after.
    Last edited by cfred; 02-25-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    At any rate, the general view prescribed to us was that 'for profit is bad'. One should never make a profit off the backs of children.....yeah, that's ACTUALLY how it was worded! Of course, being a teenier bit more confrontational in my younger years, I had my hand up in a flash and said "Why not?" I thought they'd string me up right there. I explained that it's a business like any other. Why shouldn't we be compensated appropriately for providing a needed service and doing it well?

Yep, and no one would EVER ask a teacher to work for free or admonish them for wanting to be paid for what they do.

Daycare has always been looked down upon as "woman's work". Because women are the ones who birth children there is a societal stigma that we should just innately WANT to take care of everyone's child, view them as delightful, perfect cherubs, and never ask for a dime in compensation.

I can guarantee you that if daycare were a MAN'S business things would be different. Suddenly daycare would be an important business worth far more compensation. And what bothers me most about it is that it is all too often the WOMEN who look down upon us.

We do important work. I don't want any provider to ever forget that. All the research and experts go on and on about how the early years are THE MOST important of any years. But then they toss us a few buck, complain about that, but expect us to live up to all the research. Well, you can't have it both ways. Either good daycare is important or it's not. And if daycare and children are so important to be of a quality nature, in a quality environment then why isn't it fair to ask for appropriate compensation based on that environment offered?

I have a provider friend who has this awesome thing she says........."Quality daycare is not expensive - it's priceless".

Well, said.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

cfred, that is exactly what I was thinking. There is an underlying resentment to home daycare providers. You work from home, you wear sweats while working, you can make more money than alot of people, you don't have to have a degree to do this work, alot of women would love to do this only they can't really tolerate staying home with children and yes, we earn our living/make a profit on the backs of these sweet children.

What is missing in this is that we work hard to make sure the children we care for have nourishing food, have a stimulating play environment, teach them scholastic basics, deal with diverse personalities, are always trying to balance life/work space in our home, understand children and their needs more than most, must deal with parents and each of their child rearing philosophies, have to forcast our enrollment months ahead, deal with customer departures and run a business while dealing with the isolation of working from home.

I always seem to have daycare on my mind. I was out shopping this weekend and picked up items for Mother's Day and spent an evening looking for craft ideas (and then shopping for these) for St. Patricks Day and yikes, early Easter and wake in the middle of the night trying to solve a daycare issue. So let me turn a profit on the "back of the children" please.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I didn't watch the show after seeing the promo cause I figured there was no positive point and I was right and the fact we were watching the scotties curling instead. As maddening as this kind of program is it actually can work in our favour because no matter what kind of a program or setting we offer it is better than what was featured in the show so immediately parents see oh positive things must have a good choice here.

In reality I don't thing parents are really that naive to think that what was shown is the reality of daycare. Almost everyone knows someone who either has a home daycare or has a child in a home daycare.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

I wrote this in a pm to cfred, but I thought I'd share it with you ....The thing the truly & honestly grinded my gears is when the associate prod. Tyana Grundig (sp) contacted me and asked for my input here on daycare bear I gave her honest, sincere answers, and made it VERY CLEAR while there are bad caregivers that it would be a great story if they could EDUCATE parents about the choices they have in child care. I also stated that sub par caregivers take advantage of the questions parents don't ask, kind of a "don't ask don't tell state of mind" where as most good and honest ones will lay "all the cards out on the table" for families to see in regards to policy, fees, the home daycare space etc.

She totally did not take any of my info. to heart and kept sending me repeated e-mails asking about bad daycare's in my area..."Please let me know of any over ratio daycare's" so that we may "go and check them out." "I am glad that there are good ones, but we'd like to focus on over ratio child care at the moment" (this is in an over the phone conversation)

*&^%^&^ &*&*#$%

I just noticed in the comments section on the CBC website, a parent has spoken up about one of the unlicensed daycares that was featured in their show. She said that a whole bunch of parents who send or used to send their children to that specific daycare had called and written letters in the daycare's defense, and that the CBC was not interested in speaking to them. They were only interested in the people who were saying negative things.

Interesting journalism. And when I say interesting, I mean CRAPPY.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I just checked the comments section where we've all been posting for the Who's Watching the Kids episode on CBC website. All the posts are gone. What do you think that means? I thought it odd. When I checked postings for other shows, they're still showing. Interesting.