Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Euphoric !
    Just checked CBC....we're back on. Jodaycare, your post is there too

Euphoric !
    Yeah, but the 100's of posts are gone...only the new ones show. I thought maybe (giving them the benefit of the doubt) there was a limit on the number of posts so they needed to clear it so mosre comments could be posted. But, I checked other episodes and found one with over 200...so that cannot be the case. Again, looks like they just couldn't take the heat!

Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    Just checked CBC....we're back on. Jodaycare, your post is there too

Euphoric !
    Okay, I know I should lay this to rest now, but just looked at the comments and there is a comment from one of the parents of kids in the storefront daycare shown in the report. Very interesting!

Euphoric !
    If we were filmed some days with our kids there are always bad things you could find but a lot are ouf of our control too. We don't dress the kids, we don't not bother to feed them breakfast and send them to daycare, we don't keep them up late so that they are so tired the next day they cry non stop and have accidents because honestly they couldn't see two feet in front of them. At the park some will have hats and some won't in the summer - parent's choice. If you stand in the bushes under my window with a strong microphone will you ever hear me raise my voice to the kids - yes, deserved yes, constantly no. My point is and as I have said before did not watch the episode and have no patience to watch the episode just saying you can make anything be what you want it to be.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

If you are shown on T.V. do you not have to sign a waiver......just thinking about the "providers" which were featured on the show. It was hidden camera.........can you tape someone who is unaware and then air the footage without their knowledge or consent? HMMMM

Starting to feel at home...
    No, It's illegal in canada to film or tape someone without their consent.... they would have to blur their faces and change their voices... not say in what city it has been filmed and not show any thing that would be easily recognizable... and even then...

I believe what you are saying mlle.so then these providers gave consent to look like fools? Were they actually told Marketplace was looking for poor providers and they would like them to be on? Who would consent to looking bad and possibly losing their business? Just wondering

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mlle.coccinelle View Post
    No, It's illegal in canada to film or tape someone without their consent.... they would have to blur their faces and change their voices... not say in what city it has been filmed and not show any thing that would be easily recognizable... and even then...
    Actually, I think it is legal if one party is knowledgeable of the recording. So, since the reporter was knowledgeable about the hidden camera it is considered legal.

Now, I think it is totally unfair and a total set-up and a reprehensible action on the part of CBC and its journalists but it IS legal. But, as we all know, "legal" doesn't always mean "ethical". One of the reasons I have NEVER liked Marketplace is that they set people up and then edit footage to serve their agenda.

When they were looking for footage for this story they contacted me a number of times. And this slanting of things is EXACTLY why I refused to meet with them without some sort of financial incentive. I KNEW this would happen.
    Last edited by Judy Trickett; 02-25-2013 at 03:07 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I watched it and I found some things really wierd.
    first was the comment that parents don't have no choice.----really, there are so many daycares out there its crazy. Its not that parents don't have a choice, the problem is that parents don't want to pay the money for people to watch their children and they want their children to be in daycares up to 12 hours a day.

second was the fact that the first house they went to, had to be staged, because really who would send their child there and pay 200 dollars a week for care in that house. I found it odd that they wrote the words at the bottom of the screen, the lady wasn't hard to understand. I think they wanted to make a point on how stupid maybe we are because she said "991"

3.the ministry of education said that they had almost 800 calls last year, but how many of those calls were made from disgruntle parents and neighbours who wanted to cause problem. I bet you more than half were legal in their limit and had wonderful daycares (I have a neighbour who wants to cause problems for me)

4.the one that had the older boys leaving the house and the child was upstairs. that was poor research, because when my older kids are home, some of the littles go upstairs with my kids because thats where all the cool toys are and I bet you that what was happening here too. And the lady said that the kids have the "run of the house" well isn't it the whole reason why its called home daycares.

5.the store front daycare, I'm not sure about this one, I did find it odd that the husband was moving the kids from one daycare to another.

6.this one was a big one for me, its the couple who lost their son. The mom said that when she asked about the outings the provider didn't know anything about outings (or something like that) then mom goes on to say that she did know that her child was going to this other providers house. Then she goes on to say that only use providers who have drop in policies---really because I find it kinda of ridiculous that this is how you should choose a provider.

another thing is, that I don't understand why the provider didn't have a gate on the stairs and a fence around the pool. This whole story seems so wierd to me. I own a pool, with a gate, a fence around it and a alarm---even my own children can't get in unless they climb a fence and scale the gate. I don't understand how a child climbed the stairs and stood on the deck and jumped in and no one saw it, not even a child (children are more observant than adults sometimes) this is what the mom said. then the mom said that they did this often, so she was aware of what was going on. Like I said, this one bothered me alot.

I found it weird that when they went into these providers home, all they asked was how many kids and if they had first aid and police clearance, and then they go on to tell the viewers that they need to ask the right questions, because really, they didn't ask any questions. Why didn't they ask about cirriculum, outings, tax reciepts, contracts, payments, hours, ....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to momofnerds For This Useful Post: