Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Shy

Cleaning/sanitizing products

Hi there, I'm new in the forum... I have been reading for over two hours and you guys are AWESOME! Very valuable information and experiences. I'm a mother and a new daycare owner. I just care my two kids (under 3) and one more baby (10 months). I'm kind of picky about cleanlinness at home, so I need some advise about sanitizers (I don't mind kids mess... But no one steps on my home with shoes in, and I vaccum twice every day )
    I'd like to know what the law says about cleaning/sanitizing daycare facilities, especially kitchen and toys. Is there any list of approved detergents for countertops (food)? How often we have to clean up toys?. Any suggestion?

Euphoric !
    Hi and welcome to the forum!

When I worked in daycare centres, the standard was to disinfect once every week. This only increased if there was an outbreak of something like pink eye, hand, foot and mouth, etc. I worked in 1 place that used Dettol and water solution but were told by an inspector to use bleach and water. Personally, I don't like the bleach solution. It ruins your clothes, can be hard on toys and if it drips on your soft furnishings or carpet, you get some lovely blotches. Plus, my skin reacts to it big time. I use Dettol. It smells like pine, my sickness rate is reasonably low and I feel that, if you follow the instructions, it has good disinfecting power. Dettol is used in hospitals so, frankly, if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by cfred; 11-17-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Shy
    Hi cfred, thank you for sharing your experience. I am allergic to chorine, but for some reason I can use Clorox wipes safely. Tha's what I habe been using... I'll try Dettol and see how my allergy goes.

Euphoric !
    I just wanted to say that there is no law regarding what we clean with, how often we clean, etc . We are home daycare providers and as such we do what works for us and are only accountable to the parents who use our services. So as long as you tell the parents what your cleaning routine/products are (if they want to know) then it is up to you. Personally, I use mostly natural cleaning products, although I do use a light bleach solution at times as well.

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    I just wanted to say that there is no law regarding what we clean with, how often we clean, etc . We are home daycare providers and as such we do what works for us and are only accountable to the parents who use our services. So as long as you tell the parents what your cleaning routine/products are (if they want to know) then it is up to you. Personally, I use mostly natural cleaning products, although I do use a light bleach solution at times as well.
    Ohhh ok... Good to know.
    I am really concened about it because there is a case of a baby who died at a no registered home daycare (well actually three this year) and I read the report for one of those daycares and they gave the owner a list of things they have to change in order to reopen the business. One of the main issues in that case is the cleaning. So I thought there was a law involved.

Expansive...
    I sanitize the table top/countertop and booster seats after every meal with a bleach solution and sanitize the bathroom once a day. I also have a separate hand cloth for each child for hand drying after washing. I try to sanitize playroom surfaces and toys about once a week, more often if someone is sick. Each child also has their own bedding that does not get shared.

I also have separate change pads for each baby and try to sanitize them at least once a day.

My husband does vacuuming about twice a week (he's so helpful) and I try to wash the floors once a week. I am not supposed to vacuum during daycare hours, I guess because it can put dust up in the air. So I sweep the floor twice a day.

I am a licensed home daycare in Manitoba and do have guidelines to follow.

Euphoric !
    When I worked in daycare centres we had to disinfect toys daily on a toy rotation. We had a notebook that we would write in so we knew what had been cleaned the day before. I can't remember what we used but it was a mixture of cleaning solution with water.

I am private so have no laws/regulations to follow in regard to cleaning. I clean the toys once a week unless there has been illness. I use clorox/lysol wipes and also sometimes fill the tub or sink with a bleach/water mixture and throw the toys in there. I sweep after each meal and wipe down the table and chairs. The potty gets cleaned after each use. I have one change pad and clean it after each change. (I like the idea of each child having their own but don't have the room for that. Amanda do you use the small fold up kinds? I think I might do that and keep it in their individual drawers)

I wash the crib sheets, their blankets, my couch cover and all the stuffies once a week on the weekends. I will wash them more often if there was illness. My other half vacuums, mops the floor and cleans the bathroom about once a week or every other week.

Outgoing
    Sorry if this sounds silly, but I am hoping to learn how to simplify things. How do you clean toys that can't be submerged in water? I'm thinking mostly of my toys with batteries, and all the fisher price little people that would get water stuck inside of them. And do stuffed animals survive the washing machine?

Outgoing
    I am licensed and here in B.C. We're required to wash the floor, vacuum and clean bathrooms daily. In the past we've been required to sanitize with bleach but now I believe that's been dropped due to possible allergies. We're required to clean the toys weekly, particularly the dress up clothes and stuffiness. Also the bedding must be cleaned often. Just wondering how you go about cleaning the playpens?

Outgoing
    Oops didn't proofread, darn spellcheck! I meant stuffies of course!