Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Pushing and hitting constantly

I posted awhile ago about two brothers that Like to play fight. Well I've been doing what you all suggested and its working, but now the youngest brother is giving me the hardest time. Pushing hitting and bitting the other kids. He smiles every time he does it and time-outs he just smiles and laughs.. I've talked to his mom ( my sister in-law) and asked her what she does and if he acts this way at home. He does and she said that he does the same thing. Just laughs and time-out isn't working... I don't know what else to do. I know it's because she is not consistent with the consequences with him and he knows he getts his own way with her. He's tells her every morning now he doesn't want to come to deedee's.
    what can I do so he stops terrorizing the other kids?

Euphoric !
    You don't say how old he is but i would put him in a play pen or play yard without toys and then quietly read the other kids his favourite book or play with his favourite toy or game..... Whatever is his favourite thing to do ... Do it when he can't join in.

I agree, I would find what he likes best so he would see its no fun to be in time out. I had a 3 y.o. that didnt bother time out until I put her in a corner where she COULDNT see anyone. She was all alone, she calm down quickly cause it was no fun to be alone.

Expansive...
    Sounds like my nephew who 18 months old. He's the worst with his mother (my sis-in-law) just laughs it off. She's expecting #2 in a few weeks and he's been like thig to my daughter and their family dog. He bites the poor dog!!

I told her the same thing....not to use a high chair as you don't want to associate eating time with punishment but to use the playpen. In plain view and keep putting him in there at every "wrong". Enough is enough and God forbid he really hhurts the baby!
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Euphoric !
    Oooooh, what a little monster! The other ladies have good ideas and I was thinking the same thing. Put him in a playpen in the next room so he's completely removed from the other children. I wouldn't give him any toys though. Let him know it's definitely a punishment. Removing privileges for a favourite activity or removing a favourite toy from play are also great ideas. It has to be something that is important to him so he learns that what he is doing to hurt others means he suffers too.

Do you use a really stern voice and do the parents? The smaller the child the better the serious change in voice gets through to them in my experience. I also have the child go back and hug the person they hurt and apologize. It's good for them to look the crying child right in the eyes to see that they have caused someone else pain. Otherwise, best of luck to you.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    I wouldn't give him any toys though. Let him know it's definitely a punishment.
    Exactly what I would do too? It's not a reward to go play in a closed space....it's a TIME OUT
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!